Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Pharaoh  (Read 4337 times)

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pharaoh
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2009, 07:52:29 am »

Streams of evicted people and devolving blocks = poor planning.

What's truly annoying is aging. People get older, so with the same # of citizens you can find yourself short on working people.
That was my only gripe about the game.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2009, 01:44:41 pm »

Have E:RotMK. Just reinstalled. It wwas quite a good game, from what I remember, although some parts were a bit overcomplicated...
And I got it for 3$ on sale. Certainly worth it's value, at least ten times over.
Eh?
Eh!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2009, 08:01:40 pm »

I got Pharaoh real cheap and wow.

Okay, so with the entertainment sites and the festival ground they *FORCE* you to build intersections.  All the entertainment stuff has to be on a T intersection, and the festival ground needs to be on a 4-way.  But the only way to handle intersections is to make every spoke its own totally independent city, because you can't ever depend on something going the way you want enough of the time...

(I think the 'pottery' issue is solved by making more bazaars, which is annoying because people hate living near them.)

Thing that bugs me:  In Caesar, I felt like it was a good idea to have high-tax regions that were all posh, and low-tax regions that supplied workers for other parts of the city.  This is because there weren't enough workers to supply everything to everyone.  And now, early on at least, there's TOO MANY workers, so I can't HAVE my little ghettoes.  Why do the most expensive houses support this many more people?  I felt like Caesar wasn't this severe of a problem, maybe for other reasons...but there's no reason not to give any block of housing EVERYTHING, unless you just need a tiny handful of workers for your distant mines...

And the aging thing...bleh.  Why would they even do that?  They could balance the game in other ways that people who play for less than twenty years on one site might actually see!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2009, 09:11:58 pm »

Entertainment buildings are better placed on an outer ring around the housing block. The employment guy needs to find a house 1 or 2 tiles away from the road. So you can have inner ring - 2 tiles of housing/whatever you need - 1 empty space (for future 3x3 houses) - outer road. Obviously you want a fire station and architect on the outer ring as well (maybe architect only, I don't remember).
This way you don't mess your housing blocks with intersections.

Multiple markets are pretty much a necessity for high level houses. Two, possibly three markets per block. One for food only (but you may need a second for food variety) and the second and third for different goods.

Aging is a pain, but there is a work-around. Older people are the first to leave the city, so you can devolve an entire block all the way down to kick away the old people. Then re-evolve to get new young immigrants. Sounds like a mess, but with efficient blocks and food distribution is very easy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]