Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: kryostasis chamber  (Read 626 times)

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
kryostasis chamber
« on: February 23, 2008, 06:04:00 am »

quote:
So, I had a pit full of puppies and 5 deep water, to the north was a wall, and behind that wall was magma. So I did the logical thing of getting rid of said wall. Steam comes up, and an unfamiliar alert pops up: Encased in magma!
This didn't actually seem to do anything though, which is the weird thing. I was hoping for something like Han Solo, you know, like a =natural puppy statue=. Anyways, puppies came out perfectly fine, much to my surprise.
I proceeded to carve out the NEW wall, which was one farther north then it was before, and I guess the water was no longer deep enough to solidify it so you know, puppies drowned.  

very special circumbstances, but creation of natural statues would be REALLY cool

een failing lately?

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: kryostasis chamber
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »

Poor Seymour  :(
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 11:01:00 pm »

The tough black mineral that won't cop out when heat's all about!  It's dolomite, baby!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 11:22:00 pm »

Good news, everybody! If you quote a dead TV show long enough, it will come back to life! No, wait, I'm wrong.

That said, I think that a few good ideas can be salvaged from this; In particular, I think that what needs to be done is have statues changed from generalized to being of a specific creature or species, to distinguish them from engravings, which can describe more general events and concepts but are immobile.

Then, whenever a unit gets "encased in magma" it will burn up if it is flammable and make a basic quality shell-like statue. Similarly, a unit "encased in ice" will drown if possible and then create an ice statue that, if it melts, will re-expose the corpse. So, your glacier fortress can sell elves "glass statues" to take home... imagine their surprise when they get past snow line.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 12:27:00 am »

Oo oo!  And if it solidifies fast enough the creature can be put into suspended animation and revived!!!  :D
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 04:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ioric Kittencuddler:
<STRONG>Oo oo!  And if it solidifies fast enough the creature can be put into suspended animation and revived!!!   :D</STRONG>

In dwarf fortress EVERYTHING solidifies instantly.