Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Just how bad is ... fire ... exactly?  (Read 2059 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Just how bad is ... fire ... exactly?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 07:10:08 am »

Does mining skill really increase damage with a pick?  If so why don't I just scrap my army and give them the close combat crossbows to mine with?

And I do remember a berserk miner killing 3 war dogs before an axe dwarf cut him in half at the waist.  I thought 3 war dogs would be enough for a civilian...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 08:58:20 am »

Mining skill doesn't increase damage with the pick, just mining speed, it's the increased stats that give it so much power in the hands of a legendary miner with very high stats.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 09:56:11 am »

Mining skill doesn't increase damage with the pick, just mining speed, it's the increased stats that give it so much power in the hands of a legendary miner with very high stats.

According to the pick and weapons pages on the wiki the pick is wielded using the mining skill and that skill modifiers are applied in the damage calculation so that to me says that a legendary miner, boosted stats aside, should do more damage with a pick than a dabbling miner, no?? ???

Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 10:29:33 am »

Technically yea, but it depends on their attributes.

Still, miners can handle things on their own often times. Recently a miner somehow had a run in with a giant eagle. I thought the miner might be badly injured since eagles are difficult for melee. However, it was the eagle that was badly injured, the miner only had a brown lower spine and light grey lower body. He wasn't in the military so the spine wound isn't a problem.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 05:07:37 pm »

I've said it before... water does put out fire, and it also reduces temperature. If a dwarf comes into contact with magma, they will remain hot, just like a constructed wall or adjacent rough face when it's been touched by Lava at any point.

Water will cool down a hot dwarf, but this can take days or weeks, or possibly just be checked when the season changes.

To save a dwarf, you need to get them to a bed in a room that can be kept partially submerged. (2/7 or 3/7 is best, since it won't impede giving water or food. In theory, you could make a pit above a dwarf and fill it to the appropriate level, pouring buckets of water on the poor sods (literally) and save their lives. But due to the rate at which fire spreads/kills a dwarf, it is going to be tough.

Rain helps, as it gives a water covering.
Mist does not give a water covering.

What can help is turning off temperatures in the init file before going after the imps, but if the dwarf gets heated, that heat will linger and make them burst into flames the moment temperature is turned back on.
Pages: 1 2 [3]