Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anno 1404  (Read 3553 times)

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
Anno 1404
« on: June 19, 2009, 06:40:52 pm »

The Anno series has been successful in impressing me after every game. They are very different from other Real Time Strategies in that you start off as a single ship, sail to an island, set up a settlement that is usually abundant in atleast one resource, trade with other players who have recoures that you want on their island, build up an army and annihilate each other. It's heavily based around settlement building but the combat is still quite nifty. The new Anno 1404 has a demo out now, available from their website here.

I'm currently installing it now. Anybody else played it? Past experiences with Anno? Opinions?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anno 1404
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 06:44:18 pm »

Never played it, but I used to play AoE II Nomad maps a lot. In that gametype, you start with a handful of peasants and have to build your base up from the ground.

I used to just rush the shit out of everything. It was glorious.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 06:47:00 pm »

Oh man, I miss AoE II now.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 07:03:27 pm »

I played 1602 AD, altough I didn't actually like the city-building portion of the game. Just the smashing the enemy portion. :|
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 07:06:25 pm »

I played 1602 AD, altough I didn't actually like the city-building portion of the game. Just the smashing the enemy portion. :|
1602 didn't really emphasize the smashy part. Far as I could tell, one could defend themselves well enough that would would take two players a while to breach their defenses with the best military possible.

Then again, all I really remember from that game was "OH GAWD I NEED MORE BEER WHENDIDTHISHAPPEN?!"
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 09:03:07 pm »

I played the Anno NDS game, whichever year that was. It reminds me of The Settlers. It's more fun, though.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 10:16:14 pm »

For anyone that doesn't know, since I didn't see it mentioned, it's called Dawn of Discovery in the US for some reason.  Fileplanet has demos in multiple languages.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 10:36:17 pm »

But...but...wasn't the whole reason the New World and Africa was being explored in the first place was due to the fall of Constaniople in 1453, and of the Europe's desire to find new trade routes to get past the Muslims?

I don't see what's so special about 1404...
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 11:20:48 pm »

But...but...wasn't the whole reason the New World and Africa was being explored in the first place was due to the fall of Constaniople in 1453, and of the Europe's desire to find new trade routes to get past the Muslims?

I don't see what's so special about 1404...

The last number is somewhat of a sequel number done cleverly.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 01:03:33 am »

Look, I know that. What I object to is the "Dawn of Discovery" subtitle, because if the game is set in 1404, I don't see any colonizing of the New World. I could see colonizing, say, the Nordics countries, the Mediterran Islands, and Palestine Israel Phoencia, but that's about it.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 04:08:35 am »

I guess that's why it's only called that in the US.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 08:37:28 am »

Funny.
The reason I find DF is because of a man on a forum that is about a medieval world-level RTS (that was very deep, and are very hard, with the mods) that was published by the original maker of the ANNO series.

Never the less, I have 1602.
And 1701 DS

Since now it's Ubisoft who will make the game, not Sunflower, I think it will be different in spirit somehow, isn't it?

(Oh, also, my Internet name came after I play the RTS. Before that, it was very different (and will make me hunted down by the FBI and CIA))
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:38:59 am by IndonesiaWarMinister »

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 05:19:56 am »

So anyone else here got this? I acquired it and have been enjoying it so far, I gave up on the campaign because I just couldn't listen to another moment of that Knight Woman whatever her name was, she was bad enough to begin with but when she got injured her voice actor took that to mean take a deep breath between every word so it take you 5 hours to say hello. Whilst I'm on annoyances I didn't like the fact that I had to use a hack to get the silver ship. Pre-order stuff is always a stupid idea, unless you can control who gets it server side otherwise any pre-order stuff will get quickly hacked so it just serves as a minor inconvenience.

However gameplay is actually quite fun and if it wasn't for that guy reminding me I probably wouldn't realise I'd been playing for 6 hours. Nobles are very DFish in that they really aren't worth the cost, I'm fairly sure I could make money than I get in taxes if I simply sold off the noble goods once I made them. I managed to beat the elector scenario so far although that was easy so I'm starting on the master builder. It's a bit more difficult now that I'm having to pay the corsairs regular tribute, I'm also noticing that Lief isn't acquiring any ships which should make my inevitable conquest of his isle to serve as a second population centre easier.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.