Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jobs for immigrants  (Read 415 times)

ArchMageOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jobs for immigrants
« on: May 13, 2008, 01:09:00 am »

(Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet. I didn't see it anywhere.) Related to job consolidation, in that it's meant to fix some of the same problems. As a way of dealing with having many dwarves with skills not matching the requirements of the fortress, it might be possible for a dwarf that's been idle too long to make an attempt at a job that's been waiting too long. If this is implemented, it should come with an option to turn it off, either per dwarf, or in the order screen, or both.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs for immigrants
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:23:00 am »

This is not necessary in my opinion, because it will make a mess of fortress management I guess. I don't want -oak beds- while I have legendary carpenters around and some peasant decides to do the job. I'm "satisfied" with dungeon master against my legendary weaponsmith -.- . And don't tell me about workshop profiles, it's too micro when you run 120+ dorfs fortress and I generally use jobs-management screen instead of workshop menus.

P.S. If you have troubles with micromanagement, use Foreman.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »

So do I, but I turn on masonry for everyone to build larger projects, so I do use the Profiles to limit who dinks around in my masonry workshops.

It is a nice idea, but I'd much prefer being able to group my workers into teams (similar to military squads) and turn work options on and off for all of that group all at once instead of individually.

Demon of Darkness

Munchkin9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:58:00 am »

I like that idea a lot worker teams could be really useful. It would make the fortress more organized and easier to manage; maybe something like: You make a team of carpenters and assign them to a workshop with some work. Then the one with the best skill would make the stuff, and the rest would fetch wood, and carry the stuff out of the workshop. Or something close to that. Would definitely increase efficients(?this word is pissing me off...sorry?).
he Short guy
The so short guy
He just might be a...
D W A R F