Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idea for toggling things  (Read 624 times)

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Idea for toggling things
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:07:39 am »

I was thinking about creating a spiked hallway, but I don't want a hallway of spikes that just went up and down, no, I want a hallway where the spikes alternate like this
Before:
^+^+^+^+^
After:
+^+^+^+^+

The spikes simply alternate, but it isn't really simple, because I want to do this with one lever. The solution, this:
View from side
Code: [Select]
______
| %% |
|^%% |
|WWW_|
What is this, this is one part of it, you need two of these, the first is connected to the first set of spikes, the second one to the second set. How does this all work? Simple, the pumps don't transfer power to each other, and instead they get their power from gear assemblies, to the side. Gear assemblies toggle, instead of the levers simply sending on/off signals. When the lever goes one way, the top is off, the bottom is on, the water goes to the left, and the pressure plate is activated, making the spikes go up. In fact, you don't NEED two, you could put another plate in that small hole on the right side. I think this is a simple and small way to turn any trigger into a toggle, if it works.
In order to set this up, dig it out, build the plate, hook it up, and get 7 water in the small hole on the right. After that build the pumps, and the assemblies. Now then, hook the lever up to ONE of the assemblies, then pull it, then hook it up to the other assembly, the assemblies are now opposite of eachother and will toggle seperately, making the pumps toggle.
If this works, it will be a large advance in what we can do with levers.

TL;DR: The design turns an input into a toggle for anything.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:49:47 am by Shad0wyone »

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for alternating spikes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 08:16:08 am »

Hmmm,  I think I get it..yeah..that is pretty cool

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Idea for toggling things
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:53:02 am »

Strangely enough, searching for 'logic' on the wiki will lead you in the direction of this page, which lists mechanical logic gates of all types.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 08:57:22 am »

Someone really ought to make a logic page with a redirect to computing.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:49:26 am »

Well, the idea here isn't for logic gates, but it could be applied to it, I guess, the point is, I think I discovered a way to turn a lever pull into a toggle, instead of the current on/off signals. See Lever.
Levers normally have an "on" and an "off" state, seen as whether the small tag at the top of the lever is to the left ("off" state) or the right ("on" state). Upon being pulled, the state of the lever changes, and everything they're connected to updates to the corresponding state of that lever, and does not just change states ("toggle"). This becomes important if you have several levers attached to the same device, or one trigger attached to several systems.
Basically you have a bridge connected to 2 levers, you pull the first, it goes up, you pull the second, it send the command to go up, but it's already up, so it does nothing. However with my invention it toggles instead, causing the bridge to go down, instead of just staying there, it makes the lever pull a toggle for ANYTHING, not just assemblies.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 12:35:36 pm »

Seems like it would work.  Not sure what you'd use it for that would be really useful.  I don't know that your spike example is the best choice.  Maybe an airlock is a better choice.  Or a cistern where you want the output closed when the input is open or vice versa but there is a danger to that because: 

You need to remember there is a delay in the 'off' of pressure plates but no delay in the 'on' so it won't be an instant change state with two opposite things linked.  You'll either have them both closed for a while or both open.   

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 12:36:45 pm »

Well, the spikes were just an example, you could really hook this up to anything if you wanted to.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 09:58:29 pm »

One other method that could work is to setup the spike strip, then set a second set of triggers for every (even/odd) spike for a second switch, then toggle the second switch, and let loose with the alternator (the auto-trigger or a born lever-puller).

I remember using something along those lines in testing out waterwheels and a binary configuration setup, or something.

In whatever case, it worked, and I think this could help a good deal.