Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making my own TileSet  (Read 1030 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making my own TileSet
« on: August 09, 2009, 11:37:31 am »

I would like to create my own tileset, as well as mod, but i don't know the first step.

How do i tell the computer to use which tile for which dwarf?

i see that its tile (number) but where does it start counting?

Do i need to make my own tile sheet?

in regards to new creatures and materials, where do i make them? do i need a new text file in the objects folder, and is there anything else i need to do?

edit: How do i create my own engravings?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 11:48:31 am by SimRobert2001 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Making my own TileSet
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 05:18:15 pm »

I recently wrote a post on that here. It uses a specific example, but the basics are explained too. (Counting starts from the top right, at 0,0)

The easiest thing to do is take someone else's mod off the wiki (Chariot's is nice and comprehensive) and de-bracket any ones you're not using, then make up your own tileset that uses the same PAGE_DIM values and graphic locations as the one you're borrowing from. The TILE_DIM value (tells the computer what size each tile is) can be different, as it's just two numbers at the beginning of the file and easy to change. You'll also need to make sure that you're pointing the graphics file at the right location if your PNG / BMP has a different name to the one your downloaded pack uses.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 05:42:00 pm »

top right, are you sure?

It seems like it should be on the top LEFT, (The way we read)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 05:50:26 pm »

God damn it, I hate it when I mix those two up. :/

Yes, top left.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 06:16:01 pm »

]okay, when looking at this (this is a toad, by the way.)

[CREATURE:TOAD]
   [NAME:toad:toads:toad]
   [TILE:138][COLOR:2:0:0]
   [VERMIN_GROUNDER][FREQUENCY:100][VERMIN_HATEABLE]
   [AMPHIBIOUS][SMALL_REMAINS][NO_WINTER][UNDERSWIM]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:250:500]
   [SPEED:2900][NATURAL][PET]
   [PETVALUE:10]
   [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
   [PREFSTRING:beauty]
   [NOCTURNAL]
   [BIOME:ANY_POOL]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
   [MUNDANE]

i can see that tile says 137.  so, does that mean the computer is counting all of the tiles, or is there another file i should be looking at?]

edit: I foudn the graphics text file.

[SHOPKEEPER:HUMANS:9:5:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

can you tell me what all this means?

okay, i figured all of that out.  now, what does as_IS:Default mean?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 06:25:45 pm by SimRobert2001 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 07:27:50 pm »

AS_IS means it uses the tile as it is. The other option is ADD_COLOR, which takes the graphic and tints it the colour of the unit. The default graphics pack does this -- miners get a dwarf with a pick as their tile, and everyone else gets a pickless dwarf coloured appropriately. (The graphics_example.txt file also contains some information about jobs and things. It's useful.)

DEFAULT is the texture option and is, roughly, what kind of unit the graphic refers to. The options here are DEFAULT, ADVENTURER, GUARD (fortress guard), ROYALGUARD, SKELETON, and ZOMBIE. Pretty self-explanatory once you see the options.