Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How come no one uses "For Each Tile"?  (Read 1568 times)

Polymorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How come no one uses "For Each Tile"?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 02:20:14 pm »

How come you assume that no one uses "For Each Tile"?

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 02:28:02 pm »

It's such a good program for working with a massive amount of tiles, creating, erasing etc... and everyone decides to use Dtil or a generic Tweak Tile Editor for these purposes.

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 08:04:15 pm »

Well, I don't use any of those things, mostly because none of them work for 40d11 or any other 40d##
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

Polymorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 08:39:50 pm »

It's such a good program for working with a massive amount of tiles, creating, erasing etc... and everyone decides to use Dtil or a generic Tweak Tile Editor for these purposes.

I use all three of those options to maximum effect.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 04:08:47 am »

Oh man, that program looks amazing.

I need to brush up on my code-fu before I try that though. I'm a bit daunted by learning that syntax though, whatever it is.

Code: [Select]
(cursor_z = z) and (xy_distance_to_cursor < 10) and is_mineral and is_wall and
(x > 0) and (x < map_width) and
(y > 0) and (y < map_height) and (
(is_designated_for_mining(x - 1, y - 1, z)) or
(is_designated_for_mining(x - 1, y    , z)) or
(is_designated_for_mining(x - 1, y + 1, z)) or
(is_designated_for_mining(x    , y - 1, z)) or
(is_designated_for_mining(x    , y + 1, z)) or
(is_designated_for_mining(x + 1, y - 1, z)) or
(is_designated_for_mining(x + 1, y    , z)) or
(is_designated_for_mining(x + 1, y + 1, z))
)

If only it were in C or something D:

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 10:26:10 pm »

Well, I don't use any of those things, mostly because none of them work for 40d11 or any other 40d##

This

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 09:43:16 am »

Hrm.

Not sure where you get the info that nobody uses it...

I don't myself since the few times I needed to alter a large number of tiles, it was based on a value that For Each Tile didn't have a function for, or at least not one that I could figure out.

Beyond that, there have only been 2 times during which it could have been useful for my needs; plus I have no real projects going on in my fort, so I'm willing to sic some dorfs on a large job directly for the sake of playing the game. ;)
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 11:26:02 am »

It's not come across my radar.  I suppose the two things I might be tempted to use it for is for saying "You know this exposed vein, mark the whole continuation for mining out"[1] and to enhance strip-mining efforts[2].

And I'm sure there are other tools that give me the same effects, though as I'm on 40d## or so I'd need to export and import to compatible versions first.

Sorry, rushed reply, just being chucked out of work. ;)

[1] I'd hope that this would be considered less cheaty (being based upon 'flood painting' the mining designation from visible-marked ore tiles of a certain type) than marking all (or certain types of) ore veins as digging, whether partially exposed or not, but could be considered a bit unchivalrous.

[2] Either ensuring by suitable logic that none of the digging/channelling/ramping designations that are made would cause cave ins, or by actually painting all possible "safe-digging" positions "on-the-fly", to do the hjob of the manual micro-management I might currently undertake.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:57:06 pm »

I love for each tile.  I was always messing around with it before d11 came out.  My favorite was a custom set that flooded the entire surface with magma except for small islands to create epic looking dark fortresses surrounded by magma.  Sorta like the oblivion planes in TES:Oblivion

I also figured out what you needed to do to get the magma source tiles functioning. Which it says somewhere that the creator doesn't know how to do.  I enjoyed the tool a lot and spent a lot of time experimenting.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with d11, which is my main playing version.

P.S.  Its also handy in surface only forts.  You can mark your keep or something like that as subterranean and stick a meeting zone there and it gets treated as underground for the dwarves stay inside order.  Making them rush to the safety of the keep instead of milling around braindead saying "But there is no inside!"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 05:11:03 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 05:54:46 pm »

*meekly raises hand* I use for each tile... mainly when I discover an aquifer that stretched way beyond where I expect it to be... or when I'm throwing together something as a test.

Or when I decide, "those goblins survived my shallow pit and I don't quite have my magma trap ready want them dead now!".

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 06:45:09 pm »

I love for each tile.  I was always messing around with it before d11 came out.  My favorite was a custom set that flooded the entire surface with magma except for small islands to create epic looking dark fortresses surrounded by magma.  Sorta like the oblivion planes in TES:Oblivion

I also figured out what you needed to do to get the magma source tiles functioning. Which it says somewhere that the creator doesn't know how to do.  I enjoyed the tool a lot and spent a lot of time experimenting.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with d11, which is my main playing version.

P.S.  Its also handy in surface only forts.  You can mark your keep or something like that as subterranean and stick a meeting zone there and it gets treated as underground for the dwarves stay inside order.  Making them rush to the safety of the keep instead of milling around braindead saying "But there is no inside!"
si hiw di you get the magma source tiles functioning?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 09:40:48 pm »

si hiw di you get the magma source tiles functioning?

There are requirements.

You need a pit chasm(as in the circular ones). You fill that to the top with magma( I go a few tiles over the top to be sure) then you replace every chasm tile on the bottom layer of the chasm with a magma source tile.  Then unpause.  Alot of the magma at the top will overflow(may require flow activation), and can seem like it's not working for a moment, your  new magma pipe has a maximum magma level like the natural ones(which seems to vary with each pit, usually 1 or 2 tiles below the rim.), once it goes below that point the magma will start spawning to get back to it's normal level.

Congratulations, you just converted a chasm pit to a magma pipe. Still shows up as a pit on the map though, and I haven't fully tested it to see if it's still working on reclaim.  You need to both add the magma on every tile of the pit on the way up, and put the source tiles on the bottom. The magma source tiles don't seem to work correctly if there's not already a sizeable sum of magma above it.  And without the pit they don't seem to know where to put the magma or where it should level off at.

So your basically recreating that old erupting chasm bug from a few versions ago, but your replacing all the chasm tiles with magma source.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:53:07 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 12:09:51 am »

I have messed around with tile editing quite a lot and the only times I've managed to get those magma source tiles working is if I place them at the bottom on an embark tile that already has a magma pipe. I didn't need to add any magma either.

On the topic of "For Each Tile" I only found out about it a few days ago then I saw this topic. I only tend to use utilities if I'm either filling a gap that Toady hasn't got around to yet (Dwarf Manager) or I'm messing around with silly ideas.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands