Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with first mod  (Read 617 times)

Tombozo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Help with first mod
« on: August 11, 2009, 03:08:18 am »

I've been lurking these forums for some time, and have been especially interested in Rochndil's Metal and Mineral Overhaul. Since he's been busy lately and I've been wracked with anticipation, I've decided to try my hand at modding in the one feature of his upcoming mod that I most eagerly await: bonemeal flux.

The problem is, I've never modded anything before and have only vague ideas of how to do this. Ideally I'd like the reaction to go something like this:

Bones & Skulls --(Quern or Millstone)--> Bonemeal flux --(Smelter)--> Pig Iron & Steel

I've noticed that most (if not all) new reactions are smelter-based, and I have not managed to decipher anything mill-related, so I am not sure if this is possible or not. If it's not, I'd imagine the reaction being more or less the same except using a smelter to make bonemeal flux, or if it is possible to mark bones as flux to just add bones as an ingredient straight into the pig iron / steel recipe with no intermediate.

I'd appreciate if anybody with more knowledge than me could give me some pointers on how to go about doing this. Probably the biggest issue to begin with is that I cannot seem to find bones, skulls, or bone/skull tags in the raws. I also am unsure of what type of object to make the intermediate - I would guess that it needs to be a stone for the flux tag to work. I could use clarification on how or if non-plant mill reactions are possible. If it turns out that I fail horribly at making the reactions and items for bonemeal flux intermediate, I may attempt to just mod bones into the pig iron / steel reactions.

Sorry for such a long-winded first post, and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

cboyd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Help with first mod
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:31:37 am »

From what I've read, new reactions can only be done at the smelter.  Eventually it should be possible to use any building, but only the [SMELTER] tag is currently working for reactions.  I think the bones/skulls to flux reaction at the smelter has been done.  I also think there was an elf bones to wood reaction that was made, in the assorted silliness mod that you could check for reference.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:52:58 am »

No querns, no mills.
Just smelters, as already been said.

[REACTION:CALCITE_MAKING]-----[NAME:burn bones to calcite][SMELTER]
[REAGENT:2:BONES:NO_SUBTYPE:BONES:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:CALCITE]
[FUEL]
Finis sanctificat media.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 06:09:29 am »

Note that this is a bit buggy- that reaction'll take two stacks of bones, be they one turtle bone or twenty dragon bones. As for skulls, they just plain don't work except for four(?) obscure examples.

++EDIT++ okay, apparently skulls ARE working now. What gives? is it a d13 chang eor summat?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 06:22:00 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 06:53:17 am »

Note that this is a bit buggy- that reaction'll take two stacks of bones, be they one turtle bone or twenty dragon bones.
Aha.
So it's better to explode animals throwing them into 10-15 z-levels pit thus resulting in MANY body parts every each of become a heap of bone.

As for skulls, they just plain don't work except for four(?) obscure examples.

++EDIT++ okay, apparently skulls ARE working now. What gives? is it a d13 chang eor summat?
Skulls been working for me since 40d9.
Finis sanctificat media.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:46:26 am »

Same here. From the release where you could specify plants/creatures in a normal way, it was ok. It's a myth that sjulls are not working.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 01:18:55 pm »

Is there any way to specify that 1 bone gets used rather than 1 stack? Or 2 or 3...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:05:30 am »

Is there any way to specify that 1 bone gets used rather than 1 stack? Or 2 or 3...
No.

But you can explode animals. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.