Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Natural Caverns  (Read 512 times)

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Natural Caverns
« on: May 11, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

Is there a plan to include more uninhabited natural caves/caverns?  Right now, there's nothing in between an underground pool, and a chasm that goes to the center of the earth.  I'd like to see more middle ground, like bat caves too small for kobold warrens, and maybe even natural formations of stalagmites and stalactites that count towards architectural wealth.

Sound good?  Sound bad?

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Magnusian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Caverns
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »

There are already "natural" cave formations, which are usually the home of giant rats, beasts, and/or giant cave spiders. These are exceedingly rare though, I've only managed to find a cave formation once, and it was the home of a minotaur and several giant rats that the minotaur liked to kill as bait for my dwarves with refuse hauling enabled.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »

Yeah, those are exceedingly rare, and also they are filled with dangerous monsters.  I'm suggesting that there be more natural caverns, some of which may not be filled with dangerous monsters.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 11:29:00 pm »

I've settled near caves that are only inhabited by the typical smallfry creatures.   They're just the typical fauna of such a place, in the DF world.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrax:
<STRONG>I'm suggesting that there be more natural caverns, some of which may not be filled with dangerous monsters.</STRONG>
I would also like to see these become more common, and varied in size as well.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 04:48:00 am »

Would this be covered under the expanded underground diversity option in the top 3 thread?  Or would this be something a little more open to the world?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 04:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Would this be covered under the expanded underground diversity option in the top 3 thread?  Or would this be something a little more open to the world?</STRONG>
Both near-surface and deep underground features, I think.

For example, there aren't even large animal dens right now...

[ May 12, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

Adventurer-mode caves already vary vastly in size, surely this can't be too different?
(I have a pocket world where one of the caves is 5x5x10 or more in size, which I never managed to explore fully - not far from it is another cave that has like 6 ramps total and is rather smaller than 3x3)
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »

Perhaps more... cave-like caves. The ones we have now are more like webbing roots of a tree. Less halls, larger halls and a few rooms scattered about. Perhaps even a few pools(Water, magma, whatever else we can liquify!)

Heck, perhaps towns, dwarf halls and towns could tap into caves in their basement. Like some of the tombs in Morrowind.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

What he said. I kept wondering why caves never had any large chambers.

Caves should also have a higher chance of forming near cave rivers. These caves would be next to the cave river among some point and most likely would not be open to the surface at any point.