Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skeletal Giant Bats have bad eyes??  (Read 615 times)

rhuntar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skeletal Giant Bats have bad eyes??
« on: August 08, 2009, 12:37:25 pm »

My herbalist just had a tangle with a skeletal giant bat.  I wrote him off as dead as soon as a the engagement started, a  couple months ago.  I was suprised to see he hasn't died yet.  He is currently: in pain, unconcious exhausted and winded, yellow lower right arm, red upper right arm, and red throat.  The bat in question is a square away from him. 

I'm not willing to try and rescue him with one of my remaining two dwarfs.  I can't imagine it would end well.

I've been pretty much waiting for the other two to tantrum or get depressed and off themselves, so i can try and reclaim.  But if they last long enough, maybe some migrants will be enticed by the fortress entrance carved into a smoothed gold vein, and the fortress Orbglories will survive.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skeletal Giant Bats have bad eyes??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 12:52:23 pm »

Ever heard of "Blind as a bat"?

Besides that, it's entirely possible your wounded herbalist is pulling off a lot of matrix-like dodging moves, but you're just not seeing it because he's staying in the same square.

it's also possible that the bat just forgot about him.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

rhuntar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 12:58:57 pm »

Got 6 late summer migrants (in the first year).  Wonder whether one of the useless one should stage a rescue attempt.   I can't imagine it would end well, but, maybe...

two other SGB's swarmed the rescuer, then noticed the wounded soldier...

the first bat however has remained there, apparently pining for his lost dwarven companion...

this game is awesome.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:06:11 pm by rhuntar »

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 01:57:38 pm »

Obviously he's bait.
Skeletal Giant Bats are surprisingly smart for having no brain.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:59:43 pm by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 04:29:48 pm »

Skeletal giant bats dont have bad eyes, they have eyes
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!