Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Dwarfy Hello  (Read 3609 times)

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Dwarfy Hello
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:26:54 pm »

Hi there, I've been a lurker for a while, but figured it was time to sign up so I could join in some of the ridiculously entertaining discussions here.

I thought I'd introduce myself by linking a video of one of the recent events in my first truly Dwarfy fortress.

Madness, mayhem, and depending on your alignment, murder, all inspired by a desire to smooth, engrave, and generally over-engineer everything my dwarves can get their hands on:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1607

I mean sure, seven safely carved tiles of fortifications would have probably been enough to get my magma from A to B... but why just seven, when I could have a nice full wall of them?
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Dwarfy Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:14:06 pm »

Welcome to the forums. I'm going to be posting a pretty interesting experiment with magma, myself.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 10:53:17 pm »

I love reading about magma experiments. There are so many wonderful possibilities. If you take a look at the .fdf map I link below, you'll see a couple sand hallways feeding to my main road. I'm planning on setting up a magma cannon of sorts to fill them in a hurry during sieges. The path from the west will skip the magma defence and lead to a maze-under-cistern trap when the sky bridge is retracted. Hopefully the two z-levels I gave myself beneath the bridge will be enough for that. I can always have a cistern tower off to the side if I want more pressure.

Update:
Noticing there were no more burning items in the construction zone, I tried to get one last peasant into my lava cistern to carve that final fortification. Unfortunately, this one had less brains than any of the others, and he completely ignored traffic designations and suspended wall constructions on his way to the work site, and got a great big 2/7 splash of magma in his lungs for the effort.

I knew dwarfs would walk through suspended constructions to get to a free tile to work from, so I'd designated the hazardous approach paths as restricted. Apparently that wasn't enough.

Here's the map I saved between attempts for context:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6707-daggerferal

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 11:05:08 pm »

Welcome! I love new members and it appears you already have experience with the game. I hope to see you around.  ;D
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 04:15:26 am »

People really love it when you use the POI feature. It saves them the time of looking and you can describe miniature events for each one. Everybody wins!

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 12:56:32 pm »

Good point.

I've added some notes about the cistern construction. Notes on the magmaworks and now mostly completed exterior defence network will be added to the next upload.