Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: new init option [I_CANT_TAKE_IT_LIKE_A_DWARF = YES|  (Read 1160 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: new init option [I_CANT_TAKE_IT_LIKE_A_DWARF = YES|
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

Hitler was against smoking, but he smoked.  He was a hypocrite, and hypocrites lead to all sorts of trouble.  

You see, he felt that smoking was a filthy, disgusting, and unhealthy obsession, but his occasional cigar/cigarette was perfectly alright.

Frankly, it's either favoring one side or the other.  If it favors smokers, the nonsmokers have to wade through smoke in order to do anything.  If it favors nonsmokers, they have to wade through restrictions in order to find a place to smoke.  Being a nonsmoker myself, I am naturally biased.  However, I'm a bit of an oddball, in that I don't feel everyone should necessarily live their lives the way I live mine.  I happen to think it would do the world a load of good if marijuana were fully legalized and sold by big companies like the cigarettes are, even though I've never touched (and never will) the stuff.

As for the actual point expressed by this thread, I have very little to say.  Current traps are bugged, and thus I cannot agree with them.  However, I agree with having traps that trigger nondescriminately, as it requires a bit more thought during fort layout.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 12:24:00 am »

It's not enough! There are some crazy people among us who live only to torture themselves through ascii.

Give us a SUPAHDWARF mode.
1. traps kill everything, including your own guys
2. skills take twice as long to increase
3. magma doubles as pits
4. pits all house elephant demons
5. undead creatures cannot die, only STALLED
6. disease randomly kills your dwarves
7. every single race sieges you
8. water is poisoned, the only drinkable thing is booze
9. alcohol takes a minimum of a month to ferment, for low-quality stuff
10. old irrigation / farming system with added bonus of super low yields for crops
11. fisherdwarves only catch boots and tin cans.
12. no saves
13. migrants only come when less than 10% of your active population died
14. 50 new and engaging nobles to please

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 02:36:00 am »

Hi!

As for your smoking rant, I can only say: Passive smoking is detrimental to your health (proven fact). If you smoke near a non-smoker, you force them to engage in passive smoking. Thus, you are causing them physical harm. This violates the constitutional right for health and life (your timing gives you away as a German, I guess, together with the really lame Hitler comparison; other European countries already have it for a while and the whining has died down as its benefits were generally accepted). Basically, you are asking for the right to stab people randomly with a knife because it gives you some kicks.

Anyhow, this is OT for this thread.

While I see the intended and rather primitive insult in the naming of the tag, I do not mind the basic idea. As you said, other rogue-likes have ironman modes and the like and if they are an option, they are a great way to cater to all sides of the spectrum - both the more peaceful types and the more aggressive types.

However, I would suggest keeping snatchers and traps separated: Personally, while I favor having friendlies know about traps and evade them, I do believe that snatchers should snatch and thieves should steal.

Anyhow, I really don't see the point in trying to blatantly insult people who have a different preference in such a game.

Deathworks

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 07:02:00 am »

Wow, Aha, you should be preserved for posterity as an argument for genetic screening.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 07:23:00 am »

I don't suppose staying on topic in this thread was all that meaningful to begin with, but this has gotten sort of silly for the suggestions forum.  If you'd like to continue either of these threads, you can start a new one, but try to be civil about it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 [2]