Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few Bridge questions  (Read 1346 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
A few Bridge questions
« on: August 06, 2009, 07:19:43 pm »

Who do I chose between drawbridge and retracting bridge? Whenever I connect to a lever it never gives me any sort of option, just "Connect to bridge"

Also, is there anyway to make bridges longer then the 5 or 6 it lets you expand it?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: A few Bridge questions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 07:22:53 pm »

You choose what type of bridge it is when you initially build it, remember to always read the menu on the right! you choose between the directions with AWSD and X I think.
And no, the maximum amount of tiles for each direction is 10, to expand you'll need a second bridge.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 07:23:41 pm »

When you connect anything to a lever, there's a list on the right side of the screen detailing the things you can connect the lever to. Scroll down using +-*/.

Bridges can be a maximum of 10x10. Use uhkm to expand or reduce the dimensions.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:57:16 pm »

Yeah, I know how to use the uhkm expand directions. I'm was just wondering if I could make a very large bridge. I wanna bridge a valcano and use a combination of retracting bridges to dump people into the magma. Is there any way you guys can think to do this?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 09:05:52 pm »

Build multiple bridges. You might have to put a pylon in the center(>20 tiles), or bridge in from each side(<=20).
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 09:14:45 pm »

Build multiple bridges. You might have to put a pylon in the center(>20 tiles), or bridge in from each side(<=20).

How would I go about making a pylon, considering the center is a 20z drop into magma

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 10:39:40 pm »

Lines are walls, + are floors

remove red floors after 2nd bridge is constructed

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 10:52:45 pm »

How would I go about making a pylon, considering the center is a 20z drop into magma

Build a floor out under and alongside the bridge, and put walls where you want to put the next bridge on.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 07:29:26 am »

I'm not sure about this, but I'm fairly sure retracting bridges can be connected to other types of bridges with no form of support. so you build one bridge wherever you can, and once it is build designate a retractable bridge to be build on the end of that first one.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 07:37:53 am »

You can, but if you ever retract one of the supporting bridges, all the other bridges connected to it cave in. Of course, if that's what you're meaning to do, it can be lots of fun  ;D

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 09:28:07 am »

Does the bridge cave in apply in a setting like this:

Code: [Select]
z 0
.|========||=========|. 2 Bridges, left one raises to the right, right one is retractable

z -1
..........#........... Pylon supported from below

The retractable bridge will always be supported because of the pylon right? It doesn't matter that there's a bridge over it?

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 11:32:41 am »

In that case it should be okay, because it's not the retractable bridge that's supporting things, but rather the pylon. What's not so good is when you have a retractable bridge next to the pylon, and then another bridge next to the retractable bridge (which doesn't have any support). Retract the first bridge and bingo, instant cave-in.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 12:31:57 pm »

That's what I thought but with the talk about cave-ins I thought I'd check before I potentially send my entrance (which is about 60 tiles long of bridges) plummeting into the abyss.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 01:04:53 pm »

That's a good idea. I'm currently trying to clear out a big area for a display-thingie for my clock, and I keep getting cave-ins because I forget to check for trees in the immediately superior layer. Which usually ends with one dwarf on his way to a coffin, and me having to select another sacrificeminer.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 01:53:35 am »

If I were building supports (depending on what was below them), I'd use stairs next to them - easier to build a support up, easier to remove the stairs once done.   meh, dealer's choice.

That's what I thought but with the talk about cave-ins I thought I'd check before I potentially send my entrance (which is about 60 tiles long of bridges)

Just build the supports staggered, with individual bridges at each, and link them all to the same lever.  The effect will be almost the same.