Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to find underground river?  (Read 795 times)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
how to find underground river?
« on: August 10, 2009, 05:07:58 am »

ok, somewhere in this mountain is an underground river... any easier way to find it than by exploratory mining through the whole mountain?

Garfblarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how to find underground river?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 05:16:40 am »

i made a fortress on top of some goblin towers one time, just so i could check out goblin architecture, and when i rendered the map in 3dwarf i noticed 2 things:

1) goblin constructions don't show up at all. there are vast blank spots where their foundations are, but then, nada

2) there was a giant fucking pit about 2 z levels down, that was unrevealed, yet showed up in 3dwarf. try looking around underground for an empty horizontal tube?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 06:56:54 am »

i made a fortress on top of some goblin towers one time, just so i could check out goblin architecture, and when i rendered the map in 3dwarf i noticed 2 things:

1) Stuff
2) there was a giant fucking pit about 2 z levels down

:D

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 07:23:24 am »

hehe, found it... for the others that might as well search for one:
easy to find when looking at the map borders... (somewhere that thing needs to come into the map  :D )

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 07:27:51 am »

Not always. I've had underground rivers completely contained in the embark area before. Actually, the fortress I'm working on now has one of those.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 08:41:02 am »

Also, if the "end" of your ugr is in your embark area, then it must leave your map via a bottomless pit (or did I read somewhere that it always leaves via bottomless pit?), meaning that you only have to search the bottom layer for it.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 08:51:51 am »

I've always seen it leave via bottomless pit, myself (not the big one, but rather a mini-pit just for the river). I guess that, if you think there's a river, you could check all the borders + the bottom layer and be sure to find it.

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 11:30:09 am »

I've had a UG river about 30 tiles long that started from nowhere and ended in a mist cloud. It wasn't connected to the outside of the map, and it didn't empty into a bottomless pit. Confused the hell out of me.

rhuntar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:56:04 am »

my method for finding UR is digging a shaft straight down, near the square it's in (i have it reavealed on embark map) then every 4 or 5 layers digging a few shafts 10-20 squares long, then wait for olms to spawn.  it's invariably close on levels where i find the vermin.  miners who adopted cats are a plus, as remains are easier to spot than flickering dots.