Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demands: items in Throne room/office  (Read 840 times)

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Demands: items in Throne room/office
« on: August 05, 2009, 03:14:21 am »

So the Dungeon Master says, but WHICH items? Am I correct in assessing that there is no way to figure what exactly it is he wants?

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Re: Demands: items in Throne room/office
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 03:15:29 am »

I'd guess it would probably be an armorstand, a weapon rack, a cabinet, and 1 or 2 chests that he wants.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 03:27:20 am »

This is a bug. He wants an item made out of something it can't be made of (i.e. a metal bed or the like), so it defaults to 'item'. Just ignore him, demands don't end in 'Justice'.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:34:08 am »

Ah, right. Bug. Thanks.

Too bad for him I cluttered his room with all sorts of junk cause I'm certainly not going to clean it up just because he's being childish

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 09:06:43 am »

Do note that such bugged demands will make their issuers unhappy when they continue to remain unfulfilled, so you might want to make sure that you've got enough other things to keep them happy (waterfalls, pretty furniture, good food and booze, etc.).

In my current fort, I've only had a small handful of demands (less than a dozen over the past 22 years), and half of them have been bugged in this manner. The latest one happened with my Advisor, which was somewhat problematic because she has no personal preferences whatsoever and is always the least happy dwarf in my entire fortress - for a short time, she started flashing with the "Unhappy" status indicator, but eventually she got better (once I renovated my 3 statue gardens, replacing all of the low-quality silver statues with exceptional/masterwork aluminum ones) and just recently forgot her demand.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 09:12:00 am »

Do note that such bugged demands will make their issuers unhappy when they continue to remain unfulfilled, so you might want to make sure that you've got enough other things to keep them happy (waterfalls, pretty furniture, good food and booze, etc.).

In my current fort, I've only had a small handful of demands (less than a dozen over the past 22 years), and half of them have been bugged in this manner. The latest one happened with my Advisor, which was somewhat problematic because she has no personal preferences whatsoever and is always the least happy dwarf in my entire fortress - for a short time, she started flashing with the "Unhappy" status indicator, but eventually she got better (once I renovated my 3 statue gardens, replacing all of the low-quality silver statues with exceptional/masterwork aluminum ones) and just recently forgot her demand.

You know, this is the first time I've seen someone describing solving a noble problem that didn't involve spikes, magma, ballista bolts, or falling ceilings. It's refreshing.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:25:09 am »

I do honestly try to keep my nobles happy, and to meet every production order (16 years no crimes!).

The tax collector who had an adamantium fetish? That was pushing it. He had a tragic accident with an orc siege, and a lever that just /had/ to be pulled. Outside.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 11:38:38 am »

I had actually considered dropping said Advisor into my magma pipe (a few years into the fort, I built a special bridge-drop system over it for that very purpose), and in a backup save I actually did drop her in (mostly for stress relief, and to see that nobody in my fortress actually cared).

Also, said statue garden renovation was a project I had planned long before the Advisor made her bugged demand, so it was moreso convenient timing than a deliberate solution to a problem.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 05:23:07 am »

I do honestly try to keep my nobles happy, and to meet every production order (16 years no crimes!).

The tax collector who had an adamantium fetish? That was pushing it. He had a tragic accident with an orc siege, and a lever that just /had/ to be pulled. Outside.

It took you until adamantium? You are a model of self-restraint.

If any of my nobles even comes in with a thing for aluminum or some other sufficiently rare metal, I drop a ceiling on them.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."