Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Emergency modifications  (Read 741 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Emergency modifications
« on: August 06, 2009, 07:53:05 pm »

AHH!! Turns out that those Teldin-mod phoenixes are violent, and one is attacking my dwarf! They are actually just about to start fighting (I was too late realising its dark intentions) can I save right now, alter the raws to remove all the things that stop it from dying (or just remove the eyes/lungs etc) and load my game to see the Phoenix die without any further dwarf intervention? I need to know because I can't unpause my game until I know. I've suffered 7 magma uberbeast-related FUN forts this evening alone (Damn you, Teldin) and I would like to keep this fort alive to enjoy more FUN at a later date (more impressive magma failure possibly)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Obsidean_00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency modifications
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 07:56:29 pm »

I do not believe you can remove body parts from a creature without re-genning, but I read somewhere about being able to remove the tags that make a creature fly from it and it would hit the ground hard.  I haven't tried it myself, but you can always try that.

Just remember, it's Dwarf Fortress, dying is fun!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:01:37 pm »

Yeah, but I've lost 7 times today, so I'd like to have some more epic fun, rather than "die the second I start" fun. I'll wait for some more corroboration.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 08:03:00 pm »

You can alter creatures as you want. Just don't delete their occurance. Just make this phoenix of size 1 and remove lungs, and it's done. Also you can make it [SPEED:9999] to make it uberslow.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:22:15 pm »

ok. I wouldn't normally resort to diminishing fun in this way, but I'm tired of having so much fun...

EDIT: Out of something bad, comes something good. Turns out that you can edit away body parts and tags mid fight, but attacks and size are retained. I know this because I stopped the fight after one round by saving and modding the brain out of the phoenix. He wacked my guy once at size 12, doing standard damage (breaking my poor miner all over the place) but then fell over and died. I know he stayed size twelve because of the later butchering of the corpse. 12 great big bones. Bolts, anybody?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:50:38 pm by Rowanas »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 09:13:49 pm »

Is this another of those "When do I need to generate a new world?" threads with a disguise?
People should read stickies.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 12:55:15 am »

Is this another of those "When do I need to generate a new world?" threads with a disguise?
People should read stickies.

Nope.

You can remove body parts between sessions.

The easiest way I've found is to use [AQUATIC] and make sure they don't have [NOBREATHE]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 01:39:57 am »

You can alter creatures as you want. Just don't delete their occurance. Just make this phoenix of size 1 and remove lungs, and it's done. Also you can make it [SPEED:9999] to make it uberslow.

Actually editing a creature to a size of 1 is the same as editing it to a size of 2. This is because the game automatically gives the error message that xxxx is a nonvermin creature and is given a size of 2 or something to that effect. If you look in the error logs it should be there. This just means that you would be playing with the creature like it was a size of two, excepting that it would gen an error message every time you loaded the game.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 02:44:52 am »

Actually editing a creature to a size of 1 is the same as editing it to a size of 2.
You learn each day :). Thanks for the info. I've never tried to mod  anything below size of 3, now I know that it's not possible. Well, whatever, make it size 3, it should still be pretty weak. Also I am afraid that if size is bugged (wrong) it would reset it to default size (7).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 02:49:40 am »

my favorite way of modkilling beasties is by setting teh burn point to 0.

that way you instantly have burninating future corpses.

it's not instant death though.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 06:43:51 am »

Nah. brain erasing seems to do it best. They fall over instantly :D

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 05:27:52 pm »

Hah, I do think I went a bit overboard on the magma terrors in that mod, unfortunately. Have you met up with any giant magma spiders yet? Those things are fucking brutal.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 09:25:28 pm »

No, I met with a ZOMBIE GIANT MAGMA SPIDER. He single handedly killed all 8 of my war fel wargs, and every single one of my dwarves. I made GM spiders a megabeast to compensate.

P.S. Fel wargs will not burn in magma, are immune to all fire etc, but they can still drown in the stuff. Unfortunately they don't know that, so they dive in and promptly die.