Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SingStar 'n' Such  (Read 806 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
SingStar 'n' Such
« on: August 07, 2009, 05:12:38 pm »

So here's the deal, my family happens to be interested in finding some sort of class or device that will make it so that we don't sound like a bunch of sodomized hippos whenever we attempt to sing something.  My mother, who happens to be particularly keen on structuring her voice, has just recently heard about SingStar, and feels that it might be an excellent way of training one's voice (it's recreational, you can use it when nobody's around, and it allows you to "see" your voice, thus giving you something to work with when you're trying to control what note you're singing).

Personally, I have no experience with SingStar aside from publicly humiliating myself a few times on someone else's system.  As such, I really don't know how accurately it can show you what your voice is doing.

Furthermore, we do not own any gaming consoles aside from the cute little Nintendo Gamecube that's gathering dust in my closet (PC all the way, baby).  So if we were interested in acquiring SingStar, we'd be looking at picking up the console to go along with it.  And suddenly you start wondering about all the pretty little numbers that price tag is starting to show.  Especially if you don't really know what you're buying.

So what I'm asking is this; does anyone know if SingStar-
A) Can effectively be used to train your singing voice
B) Has an alternative program or system that would be better suited to our desires
C) Happens contains far too many lame songs to be worth the effort

Really, all we're looking for is some voice training aid that can be used in the privacy of our own soundproofed underground bomb shelter with all the doors locked.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: SingStar 'n' Such
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:27:14 pm »

Dunno about real voice training but SingStar is good fun and mostly good song selection. Karaoke Revolution is also pretty good. Both can be aquired for PS2 which is pretty darn cheap these days ($99 new). PS3 has the next-generation versions, which include downloadable add-on songs to expand the collection.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: SingStar 'n' Such
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 09:04:57 pm »

See, the problem is that I don't generally see $99 as "pretty darn cheap", especially since I probably won't be using the console for much else.  And that's just the cost of the console, I have no idea how much the game goes for...

But then again, it would probably be rather easy to get a very decent price on eBay or something, seeing as the PS2 is entering into obsolescence (at least in some minds).