Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large animal capture techniques  (Read 3282 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Large animal capture techniques
« on: August 07, 2009, 05:59:26 pm »

Does anyone know any good methods which which to capture large animals, like bears or wolves or even the more mythical of beasts? Obviously cage traps are a necessity but any strategies as to their use?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Large animal capture techniques
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 06:01:25 pm »

Animals seem to stay in an area of the map for some time, scatter the traps in that area.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:09:05 pm »

Build a twenty four tile long wall as close as you can to the map edge, smack dab in the center of the 48x48 embark tile. Put cage traps at the ends of the walls. In picture form:

Code: [Select]
..^#########^..
   Map Edge     

The length is obviously reduced, but I used this and successfully captured several creatures, including a dragon, with absolutely no trouble.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Magog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 01:48:56 am »

I was just thinking about the same thing, that sounds like a possible strategy.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 02:09:06 am »

That looks like a good plan which i will definatly try...but I was thinking a slight modification, since one row of traps might not work..
Code: [Select]
#^^#.......#^^#
#^^#########^^#
   Map Edge     

And sort of a mini-hallway like that filled with traps...

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 02:13:23 am »

Hm there will always be animals on your map no matter the size.A 2x2 fortress with walls and cages on each edge should be effective.

Hm how about zombie,skeleton catching? >=D

Also you can catch large water animals fairly easily by embarking near the end of a river and continuing the river by a channel with traps.Youd need to get rid of the water after that tho.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 04:00:46 pm »

I've caught a giant eagle before by building a tower in the shape of a hammer with a gap in the wall on either side they can fly in and get caught by cage traps.

level one of the hammer's head

ww ww
w.ttt.w
w..X.. w
w.ttt.w
ww ww

The  layer above was similar except the gaps were east/west.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 12:25:01 am »

I've caught a giant eagle before by building a tower in the shape of a hammer with a gap in the wall on either side they can fly in and get caught by cage traps.

level one of the hammer's head

ww ww
w.ttt.w
w..X.. w
w.ttt.w
ww ww

The  layer above was similar except the gaps were east/west.
You just gave me an idea for what to do to getrid of that giant eagle that I was worried about :D

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 10:45:15 am »

You just gave me an idea for what to do to getrid of that giant eagle that I was worried about :D

I don't know where it's at but someone developed an eagle capture/breeding/taming tower. The idea was to build a large tower then put 2 sphere type things at the top of it. When one flies into an opening in the first sphere, you'd close a floodgate built there. Then you'd open a door to the second sphere and wait for the eagle to go into it. Repeat until you have 1 male and 1 female eagle. At the bottom of the sphere you'd have traps built so that when the babies are born and fall to the ground, they'd be captured. I don't remember how to get them down from there though.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.