Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you properly mentor someone starting out?  (Read 1647 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you properly mentor someone starting out?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 07:30:29 pm »

If they don't want to die immediately and don't want to take a lot of time learning stuff tell them to ignore worldgen (whether you do or not just sitting there without any explanation while it goes is probably not a good idea,) and give them a functional enough embark and then have them pause right away. At this time most people will want some help with the menus so point out the ones they will use a lot, this should take the most time.

Since they don't want to die fast and know kind of how to control the game now you just need to give them a checklist of, say, the first ten problems they need to deal with. The first ways most people lose dwarves as I understand them are water, food, mining accidents, dangerous animals, dangerous civilizations. tantrum spiral denies having a numbered list but you should be able to take time to explain that it happens after your dwarves are friends and if they are generally unhappy either from various negative thoughts or having lots of recently deceased friends.
So after that the list mainly changes into what rooms they want to have- dining room, bedrooms, statue garden/zoo/waterfall/whatever.

I think this is about the minimum introduction you can give someone and make diein early not such a surprise. The sort of person described here should be content enough to play for now and if they have trouble achieving a particular checkpoint you should be able to feed them short rants at first and then move into longer and longer rants, which is largely the pattern of how much you probably have to say about the items on the list anyway.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2]