Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Bedroom design  (Read 6423 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom design
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2009, 03:17:48 pm »

I think he means that each spoke is one room and he uses stairs as the hallways.

I use a more hybrid approach to try and have the bedrooms occupy space within a 'cube'. Without having a ton of wasted space on walkways. A section of my housing area might look like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not shown is how it all fits together and scales up. Usually I'll have such a 'pod' enclosed by my central staircases.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:20:22 pm by Slogo »

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2009, 01:18:54 am »

I think he means that each spoke is one room and he uses stairs as the hallways.

I use a more hybrid approach to try and have the bedrooms occupy space within a 'cube'. Without having a ton of wasted space on walkways. A section of my housing area might look like this:

Not shown is how it all fits together and scales up. Usually I'll have such a 'pod' enclosed by my central staircases.

Partially correct.

Stack multiple z-levels and repeat as needed on the same z-level.  I would attempt to interlock them with others spokes but it was a pain, wasted a lot of space, traffic doesn't scale well, etc.  The only possible advantage is there are only a few shared tiles helping to maximized room values, but that is kind of a waste on the peasantry right now.  Clusters are generally superior.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2009, 01:43:48 am »

I have to say I'm lazy and just give square 5x3 rooms to everyone, with bed, three cabinents, two boxes, armour and weapon stands, some chains, a cage of their favorite material with their favorite animal, a bed for every other family member... engravings shared between neighbors though.

but my favorite was when I did some fractal halways, with stairs leading up and down to the center tile of a 3x3 room.  Not the lower ones so much, but the upper ones.  Especially when I hit dead center in three glob patterns.  My latest designs had a short halway to the stair so there could be room for a door. I haven't done this for a while, but I think it was pretty good.

Also, rather than my normal rooms, nobles tend to get chaoticly arranged interlocking suites, as well as any functionarries that need an office, like mayors and continually rotating record keepers, that tend to be left and forgotten in them.

Once residence is done, tombs get arranged around a feature for everyone (chasms are nice, planing to use a short cave river with the next fort) and then it's one grander public dining cathedral after the next, last years model becoming a private room for the next highest rating dwarf on down the line.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2009, 02:10:23 am »

I have to say I'm lazy and just give square 5x3 rooms to everyone, with bed, three cabinents, two boxes, armour and weapon stands, some chains, a cage of their favorite material with their favorite animal, a bed for every other family member... engravings shared between neighbors though.

but my favorite was when I did some fractal halways, with stairs leading up and down to the center tile of a 3x3 room.  Not the lower ones so much, but the upper ones.  Especially when I hit dead center in three glob patterns.  My latest designs had a short halway to the stair so there could be room for a door. I haven't done this for a while, but I think it was pretty good.

Also, rather than my normal rooms, nobles tend to get chaoticly arranged interlocking suites, as well as any functionarries that need an office, like mayors and continually rotating record keepers, that tend to be left and forgotten in them.

Once residence is done, tombs get arranged around a feature for everyone (chasms are nice, planing to use a short cave river with the next fort) and then it's one grander public dining cathedral after the next, last years model becoming a private room for the next highest rating dwarf on down the line.

This is lazy? I don't spend that much time on my NOBLES much less everyone else.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2009, 03:12:45 am »

yeah thats not lazy. Lazy means taking the least effort, max reward choices, not wasting hours upon hours.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]