Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help on a Crossbowman.  (Read 1369 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help on a Crossbowman.
« on: September 02, 2009, 10:03:06 pm »

I just recently got into playing adventure mode and all of my adventurers (all swordsmen) have been horribly killed by Giants. This time, I decided to go for something different and have a little genocide.
I decided to use a crossbowman because I hoped that the crossbow's range and killing power, combined with legendary ambushing, will make me unstoppable.
But there's one problem. Bolts. I'm pretty sure you can't buy them in stores (at least I haven't seen any), so the only option is to loot them from my humans and dwarves. So, I got a couple of questions.

1) Can you pull out bolts from your enemy's corpse after you kill them?

2) Would a guys with skilled crossbow and legendary ambusher (maybe legendary thrower, but I don't really feel like abusing that) be able to take on a human city/dwarf mountainhome?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Help on a Crossbowman.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 10:05:32 pm »

2) Hell yes, why do you think most adventurers survive with that?

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 11:36:47 pm »

Yep!  They'll drop on the ground where the corpse is, ready for you to pick them up and continue dealing death with.

Basically, yes on both ends.

And there are some in stores... you might have to look around for a while, but they'll be there.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 11:54:18 pm »

I just recently got into playing adventure mode and all of my adventurers (all swordsmen) have been horribly killed by Giants. This time, I decided to go for something different and have a little genocide.
I decided to use a crossbowman because I hoped that the crossbow's range and killing power, combined with legendary ambushing, will make me unstoppable.
But there's one problem. Bolts. I'm pretty sure you can't buy them in stores (at least I haven't seen any), so the only option is to loot them from my humans and dwarves. So, I got a couple of questions.

2) Would a guys with skilled crossbow and legendary ambusher (maybe legendary thrower, but I don't really feel like abusing that) be able to take on a human city/dwarf mountainhome?

1) I've killed enemy crossbowmen with the bolts they shot me with (get shot, bolt gets stuck, pull bolt out, throw bolt back. Crossbowman falls over.) so yeah, you can.

2) I've taken on goblin forts with a melee adventurer, but your main problem will be other archers and crossbowmen. They can see you well before you see them. That's why your ambusher skill will be the most important.

(for Fun, try using the Orc mod. Those things are hell to fight even with a crossbow, throwing weapons, or a bow)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:58:25 pm »

Alright, thanks for the quick replies.
Time to turn on sneak mode and run around in circles for an hour, then find me a goblin tower 8)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:59:55 pm »

Alright, thanks for the quick replies.
Time to turn on sneak mode and run around in circles for an hour, then find me a goblin tower 8)

Sneak while swimming for MASSIVE STAT GAIN.

You'll probably be there long enough to get thirsty.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 12:26:41 am »

Yeah, these are all good tips. One thing I have noticed though, is that crossbowmen suck at close range, such as in a dark tower or, for... example, a mayors house. Mayors house especially. I know from... a friends experience. Yeah.

Vester, did you change your avatar?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:21:45 am »

We are currently all terminators, apparently. Things get crazy down in the Creative Projects board.

Personally, I like stabbing people with crossbow bolts. It's like, "what're you gonna do with those? You don't have a crossbow to fire them wi- OH GOD MY FACE"

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 08:55:53 am »

Personally, I like stabbing people with crossbow bolts. It's like, "what're you gonna do with those? You don't have a crossbow to fire them wi- OH GOD MY FACE"
I am sigging that, if you dont mind

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 08:58:08 am »

You stab them with a stack of crossbow bolts. I'm not sure if it was fixed, but in previous versions stabbing somone with a stack of 25 crossbow bolts would calculate the damage for each bolt individually.

This means you could stab people with a bundle of bolts and amputate all their limbs and organs in one go.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 02:09:21 pm »

Fixed, and throwing should be fixed on next update due to the unbelievable detail added to combat (with item sizes and hardness beginning to matter on impact, so no more broken bodies from spinning sand).

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 08:15:22 pm »

Most towns sell bolts, although they will always be iron (just go to the weapon store). Obviously taking them off your dead companions is nice but by the time they die they'll usually have fired them all. Fortunately, if you have no morals at all, you can recruit dwarven crossbowman, travel to a nice forest and set a tree they are nearby on fire. Terrible, but sometimes the ends justify the means.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.