Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Online Game to Play With My Mom?  (Read 3637 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Online Game to Play With My Mom?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 12:19:38 pm »

A small amount of digging should turn up some online scrabble clones.  Wordox was always my favorite.

They are casual to the extreme, discrete (one play doesn't affect the next) and the turnbased nature means that you've got lots of downtime to chat.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 12:45:40 pm »

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

I've thrown a few ideas at my mother and her response so far is that Haven & Hearth looks the best, because the characters can fully interact with each other and it "looks peaceful," which she prefers.  So maybe I should start looking for more cooperative-friendly games rather than action/fighting-type games.  Any ideas in that realm?

Seriously, I bet if I could find a literal harvest moon online, she'd probably love it.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 12:48:52 pm »

...You're going to be frustrated and disappointed with its" peacefulness". Really. Its not.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 12:55:59 pm »

Not to mention 4Chan has just gained interest in H&H.

Prepare for some massive dickery going on. The theft system is somewhat broken, so people make vaults with their main characters and do their stealing with alternate characters. Thus while the alternates are hunted down, the mains are left free from their crimes.

As long as you can make a home in the middle of nowhere and don't have any obvious signs to where you are, then you should be alright. Avoid being anywhere to the South, as Bottleneck is a major town down there and is quite a ways away. Thus major traffic southwards. Same with West, where the Something Awful town is, and East, as long as you are to the West of the giant lake. North is actually a rather good direction to go.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 12:58:13 pm »

Not really. Gooncastle is at north. Goontown is long as wiped out. I'd say deep NE is pretty perfect.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 12:58:28 pm »

4chan arrives and people are recommended to go north.

WWZ?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 01:36:32 pm »

Yeah maybe I should caution my mom against HH after all.  Looking around for more "peaceful" online games but having a hard time.  I know they're out there!  I used to play a bunch of them!  I found one called "Peace Country Realm" that looks great for our purposes, but it's down at the moment.  I suppose we could try Graal, the price tag isn't too high, but it tends to be laggy if I remember correctly, and it's pretty crowded nowadays.

Any other ideas?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2009, 02:18:29 pm »

I can say for sure that there are no good Harvest Moon online games. My sister has sunk enough time into looking for them to know.

I actually have not done too much research into MMOs recently. Back when I found DF I was on top of every new development, but now a few years later nothing particularly amazing has come out.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2009, 02:22:49 pm »

I've come up with a few more ideas...  One is Ultima Online shards.  I never actually played UO because we couldn't afford a subscription when it came out, and I soon forgot about it as other MMO's were released.  I have just heard that you can now download all the software for free and play on an independent shard without ever paying a dime.  Anyone know anything about this?  Thoughts on whether it would be a good idea?

The other one is Civ IV.  I actually have this game.  It may not be my mom's favorite type of game, but it's something we could easily do together.  I have no idea how well my mom would catch on to it, but given the painful lack of "family-friendly" and "peaceful" MMO's, it's sounding like a better and better option...

Fizburn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2009, 02:49:49 pm »

Could try Disney Toontown.
Heavy Co-op play and Cheap for MMO. Last I saw you can open up full chat with other toons if you both agree.(parent consent is needed but that shouldn't be a problem  ;D )

Pages: 1 2 [3]