Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Help, i got stuck twenty seconds into the game  (Read 3740 times)

Axil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Help, i got stuck twenty seconds into the game
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2009, 05:06:11 pm »

Ok, i'm a bit further into the game now, got a few gems, and a new type of stone(which apparently contains gems, how do i get them out?), I have a small army and a very basic defense(one dwarf at every entrance of the fortress)... I also got an injured dwarf, he has been injured for a quite long time(a few seasons i think), he's got a broken lower spine(he got it while hunting for his first time, trying to kill a wolf).
Overview of fortress: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6589-toweroftime
Anything special i should improve or add?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2009, 05:56:51 pm »

Every!?

Mining them should drop them on the ground.. IF the miner suceeds... There's a chance he'll fail (same with normal stones...)

To use them you'll need a jeweler's shop

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2009, 06:03:57 pm »

Ok, i'm a bit further into the game now, got a few gems, and a new type of stone(which apparently contains gems, how do i get them out?)
...With a pick?
If it's cut gems you're after, then you need a jeweler's workshop and a dwarf with the Gem Cutting job. The menu there is different to the other workshops, but it's self-explanatory. Or you could just order them off the dwarven caravan, as gem cutters sometimes produce crafts or large gems instead of the usual handful of cut gems. Very unhelpful if they were needed for a mood.

Overview of fortress: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6589-toweroftime
Anything special i should improve or add?
Is that fat rendered? If not, do that and then cook it all up into prepared meals (use the Kitchen screen to tell dwarves what to cook and brew. It's on the status screen (z)). Split your refuse pile into two physically separate sections -- one for bones, shells, and skulls, and one for everything else. This stops miasma from reaching passers-by. Mostly the fortress needs to be more efficient with storage. The seeds aren't in bags, the food isn't condensed into meals, and the bonecrafter's materials are sitting there doing nothing.

For defence, a lever-linked bridge over a channel on the north and west entrances will come in handy if you want to retreat. Since the level below the south entrance is dug you won't be able to do that there, and in your place I'd remove the door and wall it up.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2009, 11:44:29 pm »

What kind of stone do you have that contains gems?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]