Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Divine Comedy  (Read 1113 times)

Lonewolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Feral Observer
    • View Profile
Divine Comedy
« on: July 31, 2009, 09:52:08 am »

So this is a story of all about how
A perfect human world goes upside down.
I'll tell you how I became the one-only god
Of a purely wizards world named Obuthypkuquat.

The story tells of exactly how random the game can actually get on you. It begins with me editing all existing major races (dwarves, humans, elves, goblins) out of the game and creating two new new ones in their place. An orcish race from the mod and a barbaric human one of my own making. Orcs and humans - classic. Also, wolves the size of overgrown lions (9). The humans get very strict personalities, as well as the settings:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The next thing I do is create specific settings for a world where you'd sooner end up breathing sand rather than air. Sand goes everywhere - drainage, rainfall and temperature. They all get limited.
My hopes for the world where I get to create the human race in an orc-infested world were rather high. The starting number of civs was set to 4 - humans are limited to one, anyway, and the orcs could use some unity.
The next thing I knew the worldgen finished 1050 years of history in an instant. About 300 entities and 0 of them dead. A real legends-only creation, where you only get to use legends mode. Same goes for the next two world-gen abominations. Three worlds are created - none-populated.

But none of those three are even close to the next hideous freak of nature. I was forced to change the settings for worldgen to at least see if my envisioned world where you are not welcome is at least possible. So it's a green and yellow planet - now you can not only swim all day long in the hot dry seas with scorching sand instead of water, but actually find an oasis if you try.

Okay, the worldgen seems to be going pretty smooth. All right, yeah, it's a pretty good job. I even get to see the only (at least I thought it was) human settlement's downfall and rewrite human history so that nobody will remember. Next stop - legends mode. I got wizarded. No orcs, but at least 33 wizard civs in their place.

It was obvious their strongholds were worth a visit. And so kindly was the Wolf Diety greeted...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
Re: Divine Comedy
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 10:54:18 am »

Heh, might put this in mods section, those guys spend more time decoding worldgen parameters than breathing :D
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 01:30:55 pm »

How did the humans turn into wizards?

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 03:23:15 pm »

How did the humans turn into wizards?

A wizard did it.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 04:10:37 pm »

First, that looks like you removed stuff from the raws without regenerating. Delete everything inside data/objects and regen, that should solve the wizard problem.

Second of all, you've got a human civ that starts with a single person. Humans cannot reproduce asexually, so he'll stand around until he dies of old age. You want to increase start_group_number, max_pop_number, and max_site_pop_number.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 10:00:03 pm »

Is it just me or does that shot have a weird color scheme?
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:10:27 pm »

I don't think so. Do you have a flat screen monitor? If so, stop slouching. The colors will look normal.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 10:21:17 pm »

Wouldn't then in-game scheme look the same?

Wait. Has Mayday's Graphical Overhaul get any changed scheme?
If yes, it's a bit different since there are brighter, liver colors.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 10:31:02 pm »

I don't know about that, but the colors in the screenshot are definitely different than the default colors (for vanilla graphics), as I'm looking at both the screenshot and my DF window at the same time.

Not that it matters a whole lot, you can change the colors in the init file.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:33:33 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 05:46:51 am »

sounds more like a modding bug that you somehow achieved to make wizzards a civ by missplacing the orcs entity or something
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 04:17:34 pm »

Yeah, you screwed up the modding somehow. Wizards, by default, don't HAVE any civilization.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==