Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slavery rocks! Screw goblin rights!  (Read 2275 times)

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
Slavery rocks! Screw goblin rights!
« on: July 21, 2009, 11:13:22 am »

Alright, so here's the deal. I want something to do with goblins I capture. They are an amazing supply of paint, makeshift soccerballs (heads), backscratchers (arms), and sheaths for my military's swords, but even with all that, I would like something more.

Why not just swap them over to a different behavior system once they've been captured, disarmed, and been chained with a special item.

I'm thinking the only jobs they could do would be let's say, hauling and deconstruction.

Also: DWARF POWER!
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Slavery rocks! Screw goblin rights!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 11:41:47 am »

Slavery is going to be included. at the moment it's just training certain animals, but toady (armok be with him) has plans.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:37:31 am »

Yeah, we'd probably need tags beyond hostile and friendly. Has the additional perk of making sieges not bother chasing animals around unless they're trained to be hostile

Slaves should require dwarves or chains to control them, otherwise they'll try to flee

Dwarves punish slavery with death though so you're going to need to mod it in

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 03:48:14 am »

There should be appropriate penelties for betraying the morality of the Race your playing as though.

I mean... Imagine if you were playing Elves and you started cutting down trees.

Ignorable bad thoughts might not be enough.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 05:07:35 am »

The game probably shouldn't let you cut trees when playing elves. Spirit of the community and all

I'm not sure how less than completely abhorrent things should be handled though. Dwarves don't seem to care about making trophies even though they don't like that stuff. Dwarves probably should have no interest in buying them from shops or caravans unless they're the weird ones that like skull totems

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 09:18:43 am »

The game probably shouldn't let you cut trees when playing elves. Spirit of the community and all

Don't you think that elves just wouldn't do it, their preferences overriding orders and all?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 10:59:50 am »

Who cares, they're elves.

On the topic of slavery, you could do a chinese style "kill the prisoners before battle" to show how hardcore your dwarves are.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 11:40:04 am »

On the topic of slavery, you could do a chinese style "kill the prisoners before battle" to show how hardcore your dwarves are.

That's sooooo dumb... (the act, not the implimentation) casualty counts for battles are in the 10-20% range... you don't want to encourage the enemy to fight to the last man....

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 01:02:12 pm »

Actually, historically the Chinese used it very effectively. They would terrify their opponents so much that many people refused to fight them.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 08:16:00 pm »

I mean... Imagine if you were playing Elves and you started cutting down trees.

Ignorable bad thoughts might not be enough.
I suspect elves have an unseen selfish reason to want the forests kept healthy -- such as magical powers in proportion to the number of standing trees in a large radius that extends into other nations' territories. 

If you were told that if the number of standing trees in the entire world falls below X, then your magma pipe will run dry, you might be tempted to behave like the elves do now....

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 11:45:34 am »

Don't you think that elves just wouldn't do it, their preferences overriding orders and all?

Maybe Toady One should add good thoughts for things like Dwarves chopping down Elves  :)
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 12:14:47 pm »

Maybe Toady One should add good thoughts for things like Dwarves chopping down Elves  :)

That's already in the version I'm playing

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 04:35:49 pm »

Best way to implement this would be to use boroughs I think.  Slaves try to leave the borough they are assigned to, they get slaughtered or hammered and returned to the slave warrens.  Moo hoo haa haa

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 01:34:33 pm »

I just want to be able to play a modded version of Kobolds, who are less stupid, slightly more advanced, and use humans as slaves to mine out dangerous areas, causing massive loss of slave life, all the while whipping the hell out of them.

...I play FATAL.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 03:01:56 pm »

Maybe that instead of [SLAVERY:xxx] in the ethic file, there should be :

[SLAVERY_SAMERACE]
[SLAVERY_NEUTRAL]
[SLAVERY_ENEMY]

So instead of [SLAVERY:PUNISH_CAPITAL], there would be [SLAVERY_SAMERACE:UNTHINKABLE], [SLAVERY_NEUTRAL:APPALING] and [SLAVERY_ENEMY:SHUN], allowing us to enslave goblins or even humans or elves, at the cost of a bad thought (assuming ethics raw are related to how dwarf mode dwarves behave, which isn't the case currently).