Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving build walls/floors  (Read 775 times)

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
Engraving build walls/floors
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:44:06 pm »

Why can't i engrave snone floors/walls that i have build?
I'm bulding a room for my Noble but i can only engrave a part of the room because the other part i have build with blocks.
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving build walls/floors
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 12:49:12 pm »

I don't know why you can't, other than you can't. It probably has something to do with being able to choose what sorts of engravings you can get by removing the walls with engravings you don't like, and then just rebuilding them and engraving them again.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 01:00:12 pm »

So there is nothing i can do to prevent my noble to have ugly half-engraved room?
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 01:02:12 pm »

You could make his room elsewhere. But otherwise, no.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 01:40:21 pm »

Engravings are only possible on natural rock. You can't build natural rock, but it's possible to create or move it with some difficulty.
You could move existing natural rock using cave-ins. If you cause a section of natural wall to collapse, it will fall down until it reaches solid ground (not just a floor tile with empty space beneath) and create a natural wall. You could create natural rock by combining magma and water to create obsidian, which counts as natural.
Obviously, the reasonable thing to do would be to move the room or add statues, but that is not the dwarven thing to do.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 01:51:54 pm »

There isn't any viable reason why you can't engrave constructed walls, only that it isn't implemented. This is something that needs to be added :)

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 05:01:47 pm »

I remember reading reports on constructed walls being engraved on construction, but that it was very rare and only done by very high legendary masons.
I have never seen it, and would advice you to make obsidian walls there to engrave, obsidian gives a 3x value multiplier, which will make an engraved room made of obsidian more valuable then a normal dug out and engraved room.

Alternatively, just dump a bunch of statues there.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 05:05:44 pm »

I think that was a really old bug. You could designate a floor to be engraved, build a wall there, and then the wall would be engraved, but I don't think that works anymore.

I think there are utilities that let you designate constructed walls for engraving.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 09:11:35 pm »

So there is nothing i can do to prevent my noble to have ugly half-engraved room?

As a matter of fact, there IS. Cast obsidian walls are natural rock, and with a properly designed system, you can keep digging them out and recasting and digging them out and recasting until they're all masterworks.

The downside is that it takes a lot of effort and earthworks, but nobles are worth it, right?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 09:46:59 pm »

As a matter of fact, there IS. Cast obsidian walls are natural rock, and with a properly designed system, you can keep digging them out and recasting and digging them out and recasting until they're all masterworks.

The downside is that it takes a lot of effort and earthworks, but nobles are worth it, right?
On a completely unrelated note, it leaves a way of pumping magma into your noble's rooms...

"We honour you Urist McDemandsglass with this magnificent !!obsidian room!!"
     -Unnamed worker of Skindoors

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 10:38:56 pm »

IIRC you can use tweak (the utility) to set tiles to be engraved through its tile edit, which includes constructed walls.