Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanted: Coastal HFS  (Read 1532 times)

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
Wanted: Coastal HFS
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:45:16 am »

Hey, folks,

I'd like to have a site with HFS, a magma pipe, underground water, and a few other things.  On the coast.  (Fair enough- let me dream.)

I've gotten some coastal HFS and magma, but the maps are terrible.  I have to use embark anywhere (since all the tiles are either ocean or mountain), and there are 30-z cliffs.  I'm not interested in that.  I'd much rather have the ocean, and 2 or 3 z-levels of beach/plains above that.

Is there any way to whittle down blocks that include HFS?  Is there any way to edit the region data manually and add HFS to a plains or desert block?  Is there any way to get oceans more than 3-5 z-levels deep?

Here's the worldgen data I've been using to get my coastal HFS.  The config is world-painted using a python script I wrote.  I could post the script if someone were interested, too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Coastal HFS
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 01:50:27 am »

Addendum: Here's an optional screenshot from embark showing an example of my unsatisfactory coastal HFS attempts.

Edit: refreshed image hosting and removed spoiler tags.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:00:58 am by Bjiip »

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 11:08:53 pm »

I don't think it's possible, because HFS, as far as I know, very specifically exists only within mountains, which means the pure mountain with the 30z cliffs may be your best/only shot. It may be possible to jimmy things in worldgen but it'd be insanely complex, if at all possible.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 03:29:05 pm »

Pretty sure it's possible by turning on z-level variance to something idiotic or the like (turning on elevation meshes helps, too). Just keep in mind that it'd have to be a really big starting location because you can't build a fort on something that only has mountain/ocean biomes. And no, having both at the same time still doesn't let you.

But it is possible to get mountains bordering oceans. I'll tell you that.

EDIT: Didn't read the post well. Use the world painter for things - it definitely helps. And turn erosion way up, too. That might help.

Unfortunately, I think the rest is hard-coded. Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 06:17:25 pm by Glacial Eidolon »
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:27:12 pm »

Setting "Periodically erode extreme cliffs" to "no" in the world gen options will give you random maps with mountains directly adjacent to rivers/lakes. Makes the terrain a bit more interesting, I think.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 09:56:02 pm »

kind of frustrating that almost all features are mountain only
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 09:57:51 pm »

I have a lake surrounded by mountains.
Good Enough?

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 02:57:48 am »

Apparently my picture upload expired really, really fast.

Anyway, I do have a spot with all the necessities- I just don't like mountains bordering the ocean.  I want a relatively flat beach with HFS, if I can get it.

Sounds like I can't.  Nor an underground pool.

Nobody has figured out how to edit the world maps to add those features yet?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 03:37:47 am »

Apparently my picture upload expired really, really fast.

Anyway, I do have a spot with all the necessities- I just don't like mountains bordering the ocean.  I want a relatively flat beach with HFS, if I can get it.

Sounds like I can't.  Nor an underground pool.

Nobody has figured out how to edit the world maps to add those features yet?

I don't think anyone really understands how they're made, let alone being able to edit them reliably. They're HUGE