Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cages made out of rock  (Read 1473 times)

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
Re: Cages made out of rock
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 07:40:10 pm »

As far as stone cages go;
I'm think we'd all be taking stone in general way to far with that. We already use it for almost everything else. Crafts, doors, tables, chairs thrones, mechanisms (which really should be made of metal, but I digress).
I like the idea of it, but I don't see it working out.

What I do think is a good idea is to make a jail cell a room. That way cages aren't necessary and players without access to metal don't require it for decent cages or chains.

Alternatively; wait for some goblins to attack, kill 'em, melt their iron stuff for metal. This way you can set up your prisons with magma traps in case of any escapees and not worry about rebuilding too much.  ;D
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 08:47:06 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_machines

Each of those except axles and screws (which are already separate from generic mechanisms) can be made of stone.  Yes, even a lever.  Machines in DF time frame don't really go anywhere (they mostly move things to another nearby spot) so they can be big.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 01:13:18 am »

Well, the plan on using rope reed restraints epicly failed... Enraged dwarfs break the restraints and continue rampaging. I'm going to melt some metal items I get by the millions of humans, goblins, kobolds, ect. Not i just need to solve the problem of having hundreds of "an ambush! curse them!".
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:31:19 am by Chapin the Dwarf »

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 01:50:22 am »

Stone cages would be far too thick and heavy to be practical.

However we could use them to make bars and grates and from there use those to make prison cells. Its one thing to break an inch thick stone rod. Its quite another to break out of a room sized "cage" walled in with foot thick stone pillars.

If the pillars only have a couple inches between them you could hold almost anything inside.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?
Pages: 1 [2]