Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Remove Civ Types hardcoding  (Read 1220 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Remove Civ Types hardcoding
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:18:53 pm »

Simple one, I'm putting it up on the eternal list and wanted a post to reflect back to:

Remove the Civ Types (Skulking, Mountain, etc) as hardcoded entities.

Replace with Civ level Raw tags for : Hidden Cities, Site Symbols, whatever else is determined by those.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Remove Civ Types hardcoding
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 12:31:30 pm »

As far as everyone knows, those have no hardcoded behavior attached to them.  They're just arbitrary strings.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:44:28 pm »

What makes the Kobolds hide, then?  And why didn't you answer when I asked questions about it yesterday?

grrrr

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:58:48 pm »

Didn't see the questions.  Probably the SKULKING and ITEM_THIEF tags.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 01:18:54 pm »

I meant cities hiding...  I know the wiki isn't perfect, but it assigns a few traits to which civ type you take.

I know there's also a few places where the code gets wierd needing one type or another

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 01:35:25 pm »

I meant cities hiding... 

You mean cave settlements not showing up on the map?  That's probably something special about the CAVE site type.

I don't think anyone has ever shown that changing only the entity token results in different entity behavior.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 03:10:01 pm »

It's site location that determines if a civ appears on the list or not. I had a civ that was skulking and all that and I wanted them off the list but they were showing up. So I changed their starting site from FOREST_RETREAT to CAVE and presto no more civ on the civ listing.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 05:48:58 pm »

Fairly sure this will happen when Toady works on civilizations more in depth.

Wouldn't really do much at this point, except for modders, I guess.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 06:13:48 pm »

Yeah, the only one that seems to imply behaviours is living in a cave like a kobold.

It's still annoying if you want to make a civ that lives in caves but actually expands instead of just sitting there like kobolds do.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 06:30:28 pm »

FYI for anyone who doesn't know/doesn't want to look through the wiki:
TREE_CITY = No structures of any kind, land is untouched and undug.
CAVE = Creatures choose to live or move to caves, otherwise still unchanged w/o structures.
CAVE_DETAIL = Creatures dig their own cave and smooth it, but no structures.
DARK_FORTRESS = Creatures build and live in natural stone obsidian towers that are smoothed; but only these towers.
CITY = Many different structures are built, including shops. (but the ground remains relatively undug)

I think one possible fast hack to it would be to let the player set multiple default site types, so they end up being combined. i don't know how easy that would be though...
Obviously a better option would be to read designated structure diagrams from a text file and then let the player .raw them together with some kind of rules tags. (like making the structure a construction, or "natural")
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 02:00:59 am »

You forgot RUIN, which is the same as TREE_CITY for the default type, (excepting the fact that the icon is different), but then will allow them, in my experiences, to move into destroyed cities of any race if you have it set to the "likes site type" function.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 12:03:39 pm »

We have a structure raw file discussion up and running. The only problem i see is the natural walls issue. Currently the onlt way to make a natral wall building is to magicaly place it. That works fine for world gen, but it will cause problems when sites and civs grow in real time.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 06:23:30 pm »

You don't combine site types, multiple entries will just mean they inhabit both.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 01:11:39 pm »

I dont see why they shouldn't. If a civ has tags to live underground, in above ground buildings and in trees, why shouldnt they do all of these in a single site if they can? Or are you just saying that is not how it works now?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz