Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is blood a liquid yet?  (Read 885 times)

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is blood a liquid yet?
« on: July 24, 2009, 01:59:59 am »

I notice that 'pools' of blood have the double ~ mark of a liquid, but they can remain at the top of a stairway. Is blood not a liquid? Can I not make a savage evisceration machine with a 10 weapon trap and a knock-out method surrounded by gratings into a cistern then pumped as a bloodfall in my grand hall (of doom)?

If KhorneArmok had any say in it, there would be blood vents in the earth instead of magma.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is blood a liquid yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 02:14:43 am »

No, it is still not a flowing liquid.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 02:50:37 am »

^^^ What he said.  And unfortunately, while rivers of blood and the like are a design goal (see Bloat 325), they aren't likely to get prioritized for the near future.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 03:09:21 am »

Technically, I think you can mod a smelter reaction to create blood, so if you wanted a blood soaked room, you could build a smelter, create blood for a few months, then deconstruct it and spray the room with your stockpile of blood.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 10:25:41 am »

If you had a close-looped fountain and splattered some creature in it, how long would the water stay red?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 10:52:23 am »

until the season change.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 12:45:23 pm »

If you had a close-looped fountain and splattered some creature in it, how long would the water stay red?

I'm going to elaborate on this because I think I can.

I think that blood in the game occurs in discrete chunks, i.e., a spattering of blood is one chunk, a smear is two, a pool is three, and so on. When there's blood in water, the blood covers a pretty wide area, and I think that's because the discrete chunks of blood are spreading out.

Unfortunately, these discrete chunks of blood end up on the walls as spatterings, eventually, so in order to get a fountain of blood, you would need a lot of it, first to cover the walls, and then to make sure that there's enough blood to cover the rest of the water tiles.

To do this, you'd want to kill a creature in a way that caused a lot of blood, like piercing the heart or tearing out a throat, so spike traps are probably ideal. You'd probably want to kill several creatures, and you'd probably want a tiny fountain, to maximize the amount of blood available.

I have no idea if this would work. The blood might just pool up on the walls no matter how much is in the fountain.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 12:57:59 pm »

I have been led to beleive that pumps don't transport blood.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 02:17:59 pm »

Blood doesn't flow as of yet, unless its in water, and even then it seems to fade over time, so no.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 02:10:27 pm »

All blood, is cleaned up every season change.

It would be cool as a liquid though... Would take quite a while and a lot of creatures to get a blood river/waterfall though.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 02:55:01 am »

So perhaps a pool of 4/7 water into which you dump kittens, which is floored with spike traps linked to a lever on repeat pull?

Why 4/7? So you can retrieve the body, nobody wants a dead body stinking up the blood jacuzzi! Alternate use: draft a noble and station him on the pool, for bloody armok vengance for all those damn mandates.

Alternate alternate use: Elf-ka-bobs.