Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d11] DM tames a gazelle...with meat, huh?? They are herbivores!  (Read 716 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is not so much a bug as something that doesn't even make sense (yes I know, this is DF). I expected the DM to grab some plant, even a plump helmet would have made sense, not meat....

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d11] DM tames a gazelle...with meat, huh?? They are herbivores!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 09:21:44 pm »

He was obviously trying to appease the deadly carnivorous gazelles of the Square Savannah. Well, probably. Anyways, this should probably be tested to see if you use meat for all herbivorous beasties, but I'm guessing it will. What an odd error. Perhaps the dwarves are insted trying to make violent war-gazelles.  :P
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:32:46 pm »

He did (or she rather) use some plump helmets for the next two gazelles I tamed, so, yea it's some odd glitch.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 11:38:01 pm »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's actually a HERBIVORE tag or anything like that.  The closest thing is BONECARN, which prevents the creature from eating plant matter, but I think other creatures are just assumed to be omnivores.

Toady probably hasn't bothered to add it because the life cycles of non-sentient creatures really haven't been fleshed out at all yet -- there's no grazing or hunting, and pets don't even eat.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 08:02:37 am »

From what I've seen, dwarves will use the nearest usable food item to tame a creature, regardless of what kind of food it is feeding to whatever kind of creature it is.

It's quite aggravating when they use turtles, because you have to dump the cages and such to get the bones and shells back. Arg.

Venatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 08:35:00 am »

Footkerchief is correct. The gazelle is tamed with meat because the game doesn't yet make any distinction between herbivores and carnivores (well, aside from the BONECARN token). This isn't a bug, just an area that has yet to be expanded on.