Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: De-Carpification  (Read 797 times)

Silenoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
De-Carpification
« on: July 26, 2009, 12:12:13 am »

Sooo...

I got kind of tired of waiting for massive gobbo sieges to fall into my death corridor so I chose to UNLEASH THE CHAMPIONS. There was much hilarious slaughter and the river runs red with the blood of our enemies. However, I have a new interesting problem.

I want to collect iron loot from the siege for melting, but it is surrounded by ponds which are teaming with carp, some with more than 15. While hauling, one of my peasants fell in, went berserk, killed a carp, was seriously wounded and then drowned. My army can't swim.

What the best way of de-carpifying a pond short of draining the pond until it evaporates?

Can marksdwarves fire bolts effectively into ponds without falling in? Do melee dwarves have any way of fight the carp (again, short of tunneling into the pond)?

If a dwarf who can't swim falls into the pond, is there any way to get him out, or is he screwed?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: De-Carpification
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 12:20:43 am »

Do get a dwarf out if he fell into a pond, dig a ramp into the edge of the pond. I believe marksdwarves can shoot into water yes. Another possible way is to pour magma, if you have it, onto the pond, killing the carp and giving you valuable obsidian in the process.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 03:02:37 am »

Dig out the area under each pond, and then cause a floor segment to fall into each one. This woud punch holes through the ponds, draining the carp into a safe reservoir.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 03:18:01 am »

The best way is with magma, always use magma. Otherwise, marksdwarves have no problem shooting into water, it's good training for them.

The swimming skill lets dwarves(And adventurers) climb out of ponds, so if they stay alive long enough to get some skill, they can come out. Digging a ramp or staircase into it will have them try to reach that.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 06:47:39 am »

As a preventative measure, you should dig slopes into any pools or streams that have carp at frequent intervals. Carp are small enough that a dwarf has a good chance of killing one and climbing out should he be attacked.

Since your champions are ultra tough and have no problems killing anything, they will likely survive any water.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.