Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d11] Don't just stand there!  (Read 840 times)

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
[40d11] Don't just stand there!
« on: July 25, 2009, 12:55:04 am »

I realized something was up when one of my miners canceled his job to hunt vermin, even though there was a food stockpile outside (this fort's just getting started, it was the indoor food stockpile he was carving out.)

The other six dwarves and all the animals were milling around outside, and their status was "No Job", not "On Break." The other miner should have been helping to dig.

I designated a food stockpile indoors and removed the other one. No one budged to move it.

I set the orders to "all dwarves stay indoors." They all stayed outside where they were.

The doors shouldn't be locked, since I haven't messed with any of them since placing them. Nothing's blocking the stairways that I can see. It's a glacier fort, but I don't think they can freeze in place (at least, not without dying.) What the heck?
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d11] Don't just stand there!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 01:28:06 am »

Check the doors to be sure (can't tell if you actually had or not).  Also, try recruiting one of the outside dwarves and moving them (by stationing them) closer and closer to the starving dwarf.  If the path is blocked, that should show you where.  It's possible you accidentally told your miner to dig out a critical ramp or stair.

If that doesn't reveal the problem, it might be worth uploading a save to DFFD.

e: also make sure the food isn't forbidden
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 01:40:41 am by Footkerchief »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 12:25:24 pm »

I'm going to guess that you tried to do something invalid with ramps, like make a U-turn. Your dwarves will happily dig it out, but then they'll get stuck down below.

Footkerchief's advice is a good way to figure out why exactly your dwarves aren't able to go somewhere.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 01:21:58 pm »

Found it. A couple of stairs on z-1 had melted.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 01:27:19 pm »

huh? how do you melt stairs?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 01:52:40 pm »

On glacier forts, when you hit the stone layer, the stair you dug melts because the temperature is warmer underground than it is on the surface.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.