Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tapping underground water  (Read 847 times)

Mugros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tapping underground water
« on: July 24, 2009, 08:55:42 pm »

I found damp stone when digging. Then i went one level up and dug everything away, but no river in sight. Then i noticed that in the level where i found the damp stone the whole corridor was all of a sudden damp. It wasn't before. Also, there is some water in the stairway room which is a few dozen squares away from the damp stone, but nowhere else.
I dug a channel above the damp layer and have an open space and see the water. But i can't "discover" it. I tried to dig into the damp wall, but the miners won't do it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tapping underground water
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 09:40:59 pm »

You hit an aquifer.....

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:52:27 pm »

Be very careful with those, and check the wiki for how to handle them.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 01:44:06 am »

If you struck the aquifer from below, it might be too late for your fortress unless you have some emergency bulkhead doors conveniently blocking water from flooding your fortress. If you still have time, I recommend immediately sealing off whatever passage you opened with a few.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 06:58:10 am »

I make a point of dropping gates around. That way if I strike aquifers/underground rivers/magma/HFS/whatever, I seal it off completely (at best) or get some time to build a wall (at worst)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.