Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High density obsidian?  (Read 1510 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
High density obsidian?
« on: July 25, 2009, 02:27:10 am »

What happens when you have an obsidian factory with some leftover obsidian? Apply water, apply magma... Do you wind up with an obsidian wall with embedded obsidian?

I know the conventional is to add water to magma, so the obsidian will melt... But has anyone tried the above? The thought of an uber high density wall of obsidian gives me the giggles. Perhaps if there's enough obsidian in one tile a black hole would be generated... ;D
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: High density obsidian?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 02:29:45 am »

I think generally it gets annihilated. However, Speargroove does have a bugged tile with both an obsidian stone and an obsidian wall.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 02:31:29 am »

Blast. What can and can't get embedded in an obsidian wall, then?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 02:56:08 am »

No, everything that gets encased in obsidian is perfectly preserved, save that it survived the magma in the first place.

There are creative ways to use this on goblins. Think uncannily good obsidian statues. Well, actually, you'll get an obsidian stone, and then a goblin corpse along with whatever he was wearing, but you can turn the obsidian stone into a statue and pretend that it's an obsidian goblin.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 03:00:50 am »

Yep, but my question is: Obsidian stone + water + magma=?

Duke says the stone disappears. How about, say, other stones? Like, I dunno, microcline?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 03:10:31 am »

You'll get a microcline chunk encased in obsidian. When you dig it out, you'll get the microcline back and an obsidian chunk.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 07:11:57 am »

You'll get a microcline chunk encased in obsidian.

If you care about getting rid of that microcline - and other potential "impurities", I guess - before it gets encased, you can always wait for it to melt and dissolve before pouring water over it.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 12:49:51 pm »

It works, as long as the obsidian doesen't melt in the magma.

See, my first obsidian farm had a bug where I had to keep channeling out one square to be rid of excess magma and water. One time I ended up with 6 deep obsidian rocks there.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.