Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: In search of good ores  (Read 1301 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: In search of good ores
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 04:04:46 pm »

The area block itself, yes - but I was talking about associated stones, in nearby blocks. They are not just random tiles dealt from a deck and placed next to each other - the nearby layers seem to follow suit.

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In search of good ores
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 08:04:58 am »

Best layers to have are:

Limestone
Gneiss
Granite

Limestone is superior to say, chalk because it has everything chalk does +malachite.  It's better than marble because it has the famous large magnetite clusters as well as bauxite

Gneiss beats out the other metamorphic layers because of its silver veins.  When digging my fort into gneiss I usually find at least 2 silver and 2 galena veins.  It contains silver, more silver, lead, zine, copper (with more silver), and since it is metamorphic it contains a wide variety of gems.

Granite has gold, silver, galena, tetrahedrite (copper + silver), cassiterite (tin for bronze), bismuthinite (for artifact bismuth gratings!!! >:( or bismuth bronze).

The dark grey layers (Rhyolite, etc.) can all contain gold, of these the best is obsidian because nothing beats an obsidian fortress (exccept a steel fortress ... hmm).
Avoid diorite.  I never find much in it.
Pages: 1 [2]