Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Preventing the exseedus  (Read 1644 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preventing the exseedus
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 12:29:37 pm »

You can make bags at the leather workshop if you have tanned hides. Hides are made by butchering an animal in the butcher's workshop and then tanning it in a tanner's workshop. Or, you can sew bags out of cloth in a clothier's workshop. Get cloth by weaving thread in a loom; get thread either by collecting spiderwebs (if available) or by processing pigtails at the farmer's workshop ("Process plants" will take pigtails and turn them into pigtail thread).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 04:00:44 pm »

You can make bags at the leather workshop if you have tanned hides. Hides are made by butchering an animal in the butcher's workshop and then tanning it in a tanner's workshop. Or, you can sew bags out of cloth in a clothier's workshop. Get cloth by weaving thread in a loom; get thread either by collecting spiderwebs (if available) or by processing pigtails at the farmer's workshop ("Process plants" will take pigtails and turn them into pigtail thread).
If you have neither of these industries (It's not uncommon for players to go entirely for Plump Helmets, without hunting, and not everyone is lucky enough to have cave spiders) Your best option is probably to wait for the next caravan and buy either a) some leather (the best option; super-cheap), or b) some cloth (More expensive; no benefit)
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 05:40:51 pm »

Leather is definitely one of the best trader bargains.  You can get them to bring bins and bins of it for like 7 bucks a hide and turn them into things worth over 100 easy.

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 07:46:12 pm »

EXSEEDUS
movement of farm people!

+10 excellent play, sir.

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 04:30:59 am »

I recently picked a strategy that limits seed hauling to minimum - and no seeds in the dining room. :)
As someone already mentioned here - one of easiest solutions is to cook. But as we know that destroys seeds, which is bad (at least for me - I'd hate to wake up one day seedless). So I just order all plants to be brewed immediately as they are gathered and after that I order cook to work vigorously - cooking ale/wine. This frees up barrels for more drinks to be brewed and created food that will last years.. or that can be sold at huge profit (6000 dwarfbucks worth stuff (3 items) at first caravan xD).
All it requires is good farming to be setup early, proficient cook and brewer.

Freemark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 08:40:11 am »

If you have neither of these industries (It's not uncommon for players to go entirely for Plump Helmets, without hunting, and not everyone is lucky enough to have cave spiders) Your best option is probably to wait for the next caravan and buy either a) some leather (the best option; super-cheap), or b) some cloth (More expensive; no benefit)

thanks, i'll try that
i tried growing different things both indoors and outdoors, but to be honest right now I have too much to learn and I keep forgetting which plants are used for anything else besides eating and drinking :P
also I think my dwarves keep eating all of the stuff they grow before I have a chance to process (when I try, they always say they dont have anything good for it)

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 12:04:05 pm »

You can still make the edible-raw plants, but brew them instead of making them available for munching.

You can TELL your Dwarves what to eat?  Elaborate!  I'd love to be able to say "Nobody eat any plump helmets!  Nobody eat those prepped meals!  Everybody dines on turtle and cave lobster for the next month!  ... Or until we run out, whichever comes first!"
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 12:30:29 pm »

You can pick to grow only crops that are inedible when raw.  Then you have no worries.  Have a syrup, flour, meat and cheese diet with pig tail and wheat brews.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 02:03:25 pm »

You can still make the edible-raw plants, but brew them instead of making them available for munching.

You can TELL your Dwarves what to eat?  Elaborate!  I'd love to be able to say "Nobody eat any plump helmets!  Nobody eat those prepped meals!  Everybody dines on turtle and cave lobster for the next month!  ... Or until we run out, whichever comes first!"

Dwarves will generally eat whichever meal is closest to them when they get the munchies. The exception to this is if they really like one particular item, so if you have a huge stockpile of prepared meals but a dwarf just has a craving for a plump helmet, he'll walk right by your stockpile for that mushroom.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 09:29:14 pm »

Yes the seeds in the stockpiles are not in any bags, because I dont know how to make bags (sorry, real newb here), however there is still plenty of space in food stockpile
the haulers are definitely busy, however ALL of my dwarf population is set as food haulers, they usually move foodstuffs very quickly and efficiently (well, until these seeds) so I never bothered switching that off

Well there's one of your problems right there. A bag can hold IIRC 35 seeds so that would be a huge space saver for you. Granted it likely wouldn't solve the hauling problem but...

To make a bag the simplest way is to butcher a creature, tan the hide and use a leatherworks workshop to make the hide into a bag.

Best bet for new players is to cruise the wiki some. We don't mind answering questions though! http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Bag
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:53:56 am by forsaken1111 »

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 01:50:12 am »

Dwarves will generally eat whichever meal is closest to them when they get the munchies. The exception to this is if they really like one particular item, so if you have a huge stockpile of prepared meals but a dwarf just has a craving for a plump helmet, he'll walk right by your stockpile for that mushroom.
You can pick to grow only crops that are inedible when raw.  Then you have no worries.  Have a syrup, flour, meat and cheese diet with pig tail and wheat brews.

These were not the solutions I was hoping for, but the ones I was expecting.
... Well, the one about distance, anyway.  I never even considered simply removing plump helmets from my fortress - but maybe that's just because they're the only UG food crop you can grow in Winter.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:52:11 am by HammerHand »
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 01:57:51 am »

I usually butcher animals during winter if my food supplies are running low, but to each his own.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 06:22:39 am »

I maintain a small edible raw farm and stockpile. This stockpile is the furthest away from the rest of the fortress and it really is just a backup food supply. The closer meals are the cooked things and meat, which leave no seeds. The vast majority of all meals eaten leave no seeds, but should I ever run out of roasts there will still be plump helmets to nibble on.

Or dwarves who like eating plump helmets can grab one of these instead. They're also a handy source of booze.
Pages: 1 [2]