Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Magma Pipe  (Read 2236 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lower Magma Pipe
« on: July 28, 2009, 10:16:41 am »

I'm pretty sure the answer is 'no' but is there any way (no matter how elaborate) to lower the z-levels of a magma pipe. On my current fort the pipe is a little bit in the way of a big area I wanted to dig down across my entrance ( I wanted a multi-level chasm that you have to cross to enter the fort). I can have a single z-level drop into magma with my current situation but I wanted to see the splat and retrieve the trinkets.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
Re: Lower Magma Pipe
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:21:26 am »

Oh, its easy to lower the levels of it. Just dig a BIG room to collect magma, and cut a hole into the side of the magma pipe lower down, to drain it into your new holding tank.

Dwarves WILL die if you have temperature on, but it can be quite fun to have your own giant magma forge area.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:24:20 am »

Step one: Draining. This can be done a number of ways, involving both bugs and features that are not meant to be used they way they are. The simplest would be to use an atom smashing bridge to destroy lava near the bottom of the pipe. Then there is draining it into a large cistern so that it evaporates, as well as pouring water over the cistern if it is too small for evaporation to make obsidian to mine out.

Step two: Sealing. Once the lava is at the proper level, you have two choices; Use water to cap the pipe or construct floors over the pipe. The floor method is more dangerous, as the bottom tiles of the pipe spawn lava over them at the top of the pipe. So you will likely need to measure the precise amount of water needed to cap the top without flooding it, as to allow your dwarves to collect whatever crap you drop down there.

Once you have a physical barrier over the pipe, it won't spawn lava at the top anymore.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:40:57 am »

So if I put a physical barrier over the pipe at a lower z-level magma won't spawn on the z-levels above it anymore? I thought it still would (making me think the task would be impossible).

I can probably set this up easy then as I already have a large 'cistern' (the pit area below my bridge). I'll just dig out as much as I can (the pipe only partially overlaps) then breech the pipe with some immigrant. I also have an underground river somewhere so when I find that I can cast obsidian to deal with the magma.

EDIT: I do feel kind of dirty for wanting less magma though. Maybe I'll have the entire bottom z-level be magma to compensate :P.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:44:40 am by Slogo »

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:47:56 am »

Oh, its easy to lower the levels of it. Just dig a BIG room to collect magma, and cut a hole into the side of the magma pipe lower down, to drain it into your new holding tank.

Dwarves WILL die if you have temperature on, but it can be quite fun to have your own giant magma forge area.
You don't necessarily have to lose any dwarves. Wall in the "BIG room" and channel away a tile in the side of the magma pipe, and you can dig into the magma pipe without your dwarves ever being at risk of coming in contact with magma.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 12:14:46 pm »

You don't necessarily have to lose any dwarves. Wall in the "BIG room" and channel away a tile in the side of the magma pipe, and you can dig into the magma pipe without your dwarves ever being at risk of coming in contact with magma.

Shhhhhh, Stop being an elf.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 12:24:46 pm »

I won't lose and dwarves doing it, I think I can manage to get around that. Since it's the entrance way to my fort though I could rig it to lose a few elves though.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 01:00:05 pm »

So you will likely need to measure the precise amount of water needed to cap the top without flooding it, as to allow your dwarves to collect whatever crap you drop down there.
Nah, just redirect the river down there and sort it out later. :) You'll be pumping the magma out anyway, so just recycle the system for that.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 01:30:30 pm »

Yep. It's not too difficult to drain the maximum z-level for a pipe. Heck, if the terrain supports it, you can just channel out one side and send the magma out into the wild.

Free range magma is happy magma.

Wait. Free range magma is lava.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 04:49:31 pm »

I just finished damming the source of my underground river then diverting my magma pipe into the underground riverbed to drop the top magma level 6 z levels as well as wipe out all the annoying critters in the ug riverbed.  I have the drain of the river on my map so my excess magma is simply falling down the bottomless pit.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 05:01:11 pm »

I just finished damming the source of my underground river then diverting my magma pipe into the underground riverbed to drop the top magma level 6 z levels as well as wipe out all the annoying critters in the ug riverbed.  I have the drain of the river on my map so my excess magma is simply falling down the bottomless pit.
Wait... did you say you made an underground magma river? That is stupid crazy awesome DWARVEN!
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 07:47:04 pm »

Yes, that's awesome; however, will you be able to keep your magma buildings going off of that? You might want to add a flow control somewhere,  just in case.