Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stone Removal?  (Read 1648 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Removal?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 08:57:57 pm »

Ah, but he's hauling the stone all of five tiles at most. It's useful, but only within a very narrow band of usefulness.

Pretty much good for clearing excess rocks out the way of things, really. I've been using it to clear stockpiles, and recently remove all the stray rocks from the burial grounds.
I can just trade all the crap off to the caravans along with the assorted goblin junk and skull totems anyway, and it also serves to push the wealth up in order to attract goblins.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 09:49:03 pm »

[ignore, real question in next post]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:17:36 pm by meanjeans »

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 09:56:18 pm »

Back to the magma selection... I diverted magma to my mining level but it's taking god awful long to fill up. Been about a season and it's probably only filled up 2-3% of my completely excavated 6x6 z-level.  I've read that magma isn't pressurized... is it still possible to accelerate somehow with pumps? I'm trying out one way now, but I'm guessing it won't work... Does liquid move slower down stairs than empty channels?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:48:49 pm by meanjeans »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 11:09:14 pm »

Pumps effectively de-chunk-ify the magma, making it behave like water, pressure and all. This has both upsides and downsides.

With the kind of area you're coping with, you're likely to be waiting a loooooong time. My proof-of-concept screwup was only a couple of hundred tiles at most before I obsidianed the magma away.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 12:17:16 am »

Thanks for all the info... just learned the hard way that the blocks in screw pumps need to be magma safe :(

I think I'll get it filled up eventually!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 10:49:10 am »

I have custom reactions where I can prospect ordinary stone for metal.

Its far less efficient than having the actual ore to work with, but I can make it up with sheer quantity of rock. Even adamantine! Though it takes 100 rocks to produce 1 adamantine thread.

Adamantine production is about 1 thread per smelter per year, working full time. It takes an extremely long time to gather up that much stone and then once its gathered, to actually run the reaction because the workshop will be horribly cluttered.

Other less valuable metals are easier to get of course. Its 5 stone for ordinary metal like iron and nickle, 20 stone for valuable stuff like platinum and aluminum, and 100 for adamantine.
That's interesting.  Any chance of you posting these custom reactions.  Granted they are a (cheat) fix, but it is ONE solution to the vast stone problems currently in existence - at least until toady alters the hauling/mining functions and/or gives us more 'official' ways to dispose of stone and fix/maintain FPS.

I have a few cheat reactions in there, but I rarely use them. I also very much enjoy the new steel reaction, where yes, you can refine goblinite into steel so long as you have extra stone, lumber, and fuel available.

I also have all stone labeled as flux. This was a workaround so it wouldn't use up 5 iron ore to make 1 copper bar, because otherwise it cannot tell the difference between useful stone (ore) and junk stone, like gabbro and granite.

Here it is:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 11:06:39 am »

I know, that's not really what the OP is asking for, but I still vote for...

AUTOMATIZATION!

Stonecrafts -> stockpile -> flowing water that pushes stonecrafts around until they are destroyed or optionally down to an atomsmasher. Trading... meh... not so much. Too little automatization. Also I dont take stuff from.... outsiders.

If you build something HUUUUUGE you might as well have the yearcount in the savefile to prove it!

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 11:11:15 am »

I had something similar at one point, but it was more like this:

To keep it to one reaction.  I think I also had a couple crummy gems in there too.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 11:12:01 am »

Water is not dense enough to push stones. You'd need magma to do this, but magma will just melt the stones first.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 11:14:20 am »

I had something similar at one point, but it was more like this:

To keep it to one reaction.  I think I also had a couple crummy gems in there too.

I considered that, but figured it would be a bit easier for gameplay purposes if you could direct production towards certain goals. Like if you want to make some silver items, order your magma furnaces to try to extra silver from rocks. They won't find anything else, but they will find decent amounts of silver. Or whatever metal you're aiming for, rather than getting a little bit of everything.

Also dwarves are supposed to be masters of metalworking. To do this they need metal to work with. Its just not very dwarvenly to have a civilization of farmers, weavers, and sewers.

Urist McDwarf, legendary sock knitter!

Doesn't quite work.  :(

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 11:32:21 am »

Water is not dense enough to push stones. You'd need magma to do this, but magma will just melt the stones first.
I guess that is pointed at me...

and if it is... look closer. I said stonecrafts.

Those float just fine, for some reason. I think even metalcrafts would, I never tried.
Pages: 1 [2]