Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tell me about METAL_PREF  (Read 1027 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tell me about METAL_PREF
« on: January 06, 2010, 08:11:17 pm »

Ok so I know that METAL_PREF give dwarves the ability to use advanced metals like steel, while humans and goblins that don't have it are limited to iron. But I've also seen it used in mods to set a specific metal preference [METAL_PREF:SILVER_BRIGHT] and [METAL_PREF:MITHRIL] on "High Elves". Would the use of that token allow them to use only those metals or would it allow them to use advanced metals but prefer to use just those metals? [Edit]This information is incorrect[/Edit]

What happens if you have both METAL_PREF and WOOD_PREF on the same entity?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:17:02 pm by sunshaker »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about METAL_PREF
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 08:15:49 pm »

Ok so I know that METAL_PREF give dwarves the ability to use advanced metals like steel, while humans and goblins that don't have it are limited to iron. But I've also seen it used in mods to set a specific metal preference [METAL_PREF:SILVER_BRIGHT] and [METAL_PREF:MITHRIL] on "High Elves". Would the use of that token allow them to use only those metals or would it allow them to use advanced metals but prefer to use just those metals?

What happens if you have both METAL_PREF and WOOD_PREF on the same entity?

Wow, I didn't knew about the first one, specified metal prefs. And both METAL and WOOD pref makes the civ funny - they have metallic ranged weapons but wooden ammunition.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 08:17:56 pm »

As for the first one, of specific [METAL_PREF:x], according to this thread the [METAL_PREF:x] tag does not exist.  There is only either [METAL_PREF] or not [METAL_PREF], you can't have any particular metal.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:18:57 pm »

Ok so I know that METAL_PREF give dwarves the ability to use advanced metals like steel, while humans and goblins that don't have it are limited to iron. But I've also seen it used in mods to set a specific metal preference [METAL_PREF:SILVER_BRIGHT] and [METAL_PREF:MITHRIL] on "High Elves". Would the use of that token allow them to use only those metals or would it allow them to use advanced metals but prefer to use just those metals?

[METAL_PREF:SILVER_BRIGHT]  doesn't work. Sadly.

All METAL_PREF does in the current version is specify that the race is allowed to use metals more powerful then Iron. I had been hoping that I could get more interesting behavior out of it by adding in a specific metal, but it didn't pan out. Doesn't hurt anything, though, so I never bothered to remove it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 08:20:01 pm »

And that's how modding myths arise (which are plenty).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 08:21:07 pm »

EDIT: quadruple-ninja'd.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 08:26:50 pm »

That will teach me too copy other mods, you know just like copying answers for tests in school never worked out when they were wrong. ;)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:53:21 pm »

And that's how modding myths arise (which are plenty).

Hehe, yeah, my fault on that one.

I'm going to make sure I use much better standards with version 2.0 (when the next version of DF is released).
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 09:22:14 pm »

I did figure out a way to restrict which races can make certain metals (kind of) in Fortress mode but that doesn't allow them to be used by those races.

Require the use of an item, usually a toy, that can only be made by the race in question in the reaction to make the metal.

---

Does the lack of METAL_PREF prevent a Human Fortress player from making steel?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 09:32:49 pm »

Does the lack of METAL_PREF prevent a Human Fortress player from making steel?

Of course not. I do it all the time, in fact. The reaction file is the same for all civs.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:35:30 pm »

METAL_PREF doesn't affect what fortress mode creatures can create (that's dictated by the civ's craft list and what materials you can get your hands on), only what NPC guards wield and traders carry. With it, the civ will use the most powerful metal that doesn't have the DEEP tag. Without it, they'll use the closest to 100% they can find (Iron, for vanilla metals). With METAL_MINOR, they'll use the second-best metal to whatever qualifies for tagless civs (normally Bronze).

Hidden Fun Stuff spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 11:18:17 pm »

METAL_PREF doesn't affect what fortress mode creatures can create (that's dictated by the civ's craft list and what materials you can get your hands on), only what NPC guards wield and traders carry. With it, the civ will use the most powerful metal that doesn't have the DEEP tag. Without it, they'll use the closest to 100% they can find (Iron, for vanilla metals). With METAL_MINOR, they'll use the second-best metal to whatever qualifies for tagless civs (normally Bronze).

The first part's correct; without METAL_PREF, a race cannot use metals with a DAMAGE_PERC or BLOCK_PERC higher than 100.  Iron being exactly 100 in vanilla DF, that's what they'll be limited to.  MINOR_METAL, however, actually makes them choose the metal with the lowest price, ignoring PERCs.  In vanilla DF, that's copper, and copper is indeed what Kobolds use.  But if you make iron cheaper than copper without changing anything else, kobolds will suddenly use iron weapons, despite those being the best weapons races without METAL_PREF can use.  They still can't use any metal with a PERC over 100, though.  They'll use the cheapest that's under or equal to 100.  A race with MINOR_METAL and METAL_PREF will use the cheapest metal, period.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:31:40 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!