Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Bins, barrles, and firesnakes.....  (Read 876 times)

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On Bins, barrles, and firesnakes.....
« on: July 21, 2009, 03:41:50 pm »

This might have been suggested before but I will go ahead and stick my neck out since I am feeling too lazy to search for it.
----------

I, like most DFers I suspect, prefer to generally make our bins and barrels out of wood.  This is all well and good except when firesnakes come to visit.  In these cases, as I understand it, metal bins and barrels would be superior.  Now I am fine with having to deal with firesnakes as an overhead cost of living with magma "nearby."  However, it would be nice if we could have some direct control over what bins go in which stockpiles, sorted by material and possibly quality would be nice.

Thoughts?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On Bins, barrles, and firesnakes.....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 04:00:43 pm »

I always store booze away from the magma. Fire snakes don't wander far from a magma source, storing booze 20 squares away or so is perfectly safe.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 05:54:35 pm »

I always store booze away from the magma. Fire snakes don't wander far from a magma source, storing booze 20 squares away or so is perfectly safe.

True, 20 something spaces from magma means firesnakes don't seem to be a problem.  However, in a 2x2 embark with a magma vent or a 3x3 with the large vent in the center, there isn't much space left after you allow for a 20 space buffer.  Besides, it is just awkward to either make all barrels and bins out of metal, not let any wooden barrel or bin within 20 spaces of magma, or live with your stockpiles randomly and spontaneously combusting.  Surely a more elegant solution is at least a reasonable suggestion.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:02:42 am »

You could have a damage control system with a number of smaller stores.

Another, I don't know if this is even how vermin work, maybe you could place animal traps around your stockpile and intercept them.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 04:21:25 am »

That just leads to clouds of miasma from the rotting bait

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 08:08:45 am »

My solution to this is to have one z-level below my forges devoted to an elaborate maze that magma comes in through. Also, having lots of doors, especially if they're all in a row so that a 2 square teleport won't get past them might have something to do with it. Dunno.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.