Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not enough food/water?  (Read 1311 times)

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
Not enough food/water?
« on: July 18, 2009, 02:18:20 pm »

Ok, so I have a food stockpile with a few squares of fresh raw fish and lots of wine and ale, and I have access to 2 rivers and a multitude of pools near my wagon. 5 of my dwarves are doing fine, but I sent 2 to mine out a cave underground and they reached level -3 and cleared out some rooms on each level, but now they won't come up to the surface. I assigned foraging jobs to one and nothing happened. they've been down there just sitting around for a while, sleeping every once in a while and they're both starving and thirsty. Is there any way to get them to come out so they won't die?

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not enough food/water?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 02:38:50 pm »

I bet you've accidentally destroyed a ramp or stairs they would need to use in order to get to the food/drink. Just check they still have a path back up
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 04:18:25 pm »

I checked and all the ramps are intact.

Just to make sure, i had them build more ramps up and they built the first ramp to level -2, then they just quit and went back to the area directly below the wagon to sit around and do nothing.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 04:38:47 pm »

Definitely sounds as though you've accidently cut of the way out.

Try building a staircase out (ramps can sometime do funny things).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 05:27:24 pm »

I usually use stairs, so I'm not quite sure about this, but I think building ramps doesn't remove the floor on the upper level. Digging a ramp, however, does remove it. So if you actually built the ramps somewhere where there's floor on the level above, they can't be used.

To be completely sure, put dig designations for stairs up on the lower level and stairs down on the upper level.
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 06:03:49 pm »

sorry, i didn't know ramps could be built. i was using dug ramps, because they were free and also because i couldn't build stairs from the level above, so they were the only way

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 07:30:32 pm »

Ramps don't ensure a path. There needs to be 3 clear, consecutive either up-down or left-right for it to be passable.

Also, check to make sure you haven't forbidden them from going outside, which is keeping them from moving.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 08:44:16 pm »

Yeah, you'll need to carve some stairs. Carve an up or up-down stair on their current level, and carve up-down stairs on the levels above until you get as high as you need. On the top level, just a down stair will do. This should give your miners a path back to your other dwarves.

The only critical thing you need to remember is that to work, stairs need to have an up on one level and a down on the other, connecting the two. So if you dig an up stair, you need to carve a down or up-down stair on the level above to get there. Stairs can be carved from above or below.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 09:18:42 pm »

Thanks.

Now that I can get the miners back, I'll get back to building a corkscrew desalination system :)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 02:40:17 am »

Ah, I've always wanted to try an ocean settlement. Maybe after Tradesnarls finally does itself in.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".