Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catch live fish  (Read 777 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Catch live fish
« on: June 19, 2009, 08:42:09 am »

Right, so I have 5 aquariums (made out of glass 'cages'), which have been filled with water.

I also constructed 3 animal traps out of wood, and gave the order to catch live fish from the fishery.

A miner took up the task, and went off to the animal stockpile, and picked up the trap, hauling it.

He spent a few minutes in the same square, then ran off to drink.

He came back from his drink and went back to the same task, this time he moved the trap 2 squares in the time, and went off to eat.

What am I doing wrong here? The animal depot is nowhere near the brook or fake lake I produced.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Re: Catch live fish
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:19:03 pm »

just keep trying, it should work lol(i have no experience with this, but it seems he's just busy and you must be more patient)
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:47:31 pm »

That's normal trapping behavior, but why he's doing it nowhere near a source of water I can't answer.

I guess just be patient.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 03:42:10 pm »

I've determined that the second time he didn't move the trap, but rather had picked up another trap.

Very very weird, maybe he's trying to catch a fish on land, think I should throw this with bug reports.

Lots of time passed, no fish yet.

Brhino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 03:46:07 pm »

I myself have never been able to catch a live fish, either.  don't know why.  they put a trap right next to where they successfully catch fish for eating.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 04:28:01 pm »

Note that even if you did manage to catch a live fish, it'd almost immediately get eaten raw by a hungry dwarf.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 11:15:43 pm »

You need to designate a fishing zone. Mine did this until I figured that out. Also

Note that even if you did manage to catch a live fish, it'd almost immediately get eaten raw by a hungry dwarf.

Make sure to forbid the fish after its captured (k)(enter)(enter)(f)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 05:53:21 am »

I have 2 fishing zones designated - I put a copy in bug report... guess I'll see what happens.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 05:44:13 pm »

actually people have some major difficulty preventing live vermin fish from being eaten- they're so high priority that even forbidding them doesn't seem to work.

*all of this based on what I heard in another thread.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 06:58:43 pm »

A month late, but I watched the fisherdwarf take a trap to the fishing zone, complete the catch live fish job (it announced its completion since I queued it up on the job manager screen) but there was nothing in the animal trap and it was simply hauled back to the stockpile empty.