Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pathing tricks?  (Read 541 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pathing tricks?
« on: July 12, 2009, 02:31:29 am »

Are there tricks to forcing a dwarf to do things from a certain side?  Currently I want to collapse a cavern floor, and the dwarf insists on standing on the OTHER side, the side I"m going to collapse.  I can't get him to dig from the other side and was wondering if ya'll knew any tricks to trick the  pathfinding system.

I usually install a wall or something on the other side to circumvent the problem, but in this case the mason wants to build on the wrong side as well...

Putting a traffic zone doesn't work either. 
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathing tricks?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 02:36:55 am »

For making a dwarf construct or deconstruct something from the direction you want them to, place walls where you do NOT want them to stand, then suspend the construction of those walls, and the dwarves won't try to build or remove something from a tile with a wall construction site.  Remove the walls after the task you want completed is done.

I don't know if you can influence miners in this way, though, as I'd never tried.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 02:43:37 am »

no it doesn't seem that you can.  However, I'll just use that trick to put up a wall to physically block the miner from standing on that part.  The cavern is going to be collapsed any how, the wall won't affect it. 

...and yup, it worked out.  Will just have to be more careful in the future to plan my collapses around pathing.  Thanks.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:46:48 am »

If you want to cause a collapse without hurting anybody, it's best to put a support under it before removing whatever else it's attached to, attaching the support to a lever, then pulling the lever from a distance.  Also, make sure there's nothing important under the area you're collapsing.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:13:19 pm »

Miners will continue along a connected "chain" of tiles, moving from one to the next adjacent; with some micromanagement, that can be used to some good effect.  Or sealing them in on a level without stairs out (until they're done).  But even then they will, sometimes, insist on walking around absurd distances to work from the top/left side.

Locked doors can be used to force dwarves to work from one side.  A statue is impassable, and so would work to prevent any dwarf from standing on that tile (and the "suspended wall" trick should prevent the Furniture Hauler from blocking themselves in).  Possibly a suspended statue will do the same - dunno.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 06:46:15 pm »

Ok so I have a fireman hiding out in the tube that I used to dig up and find the cap to the magma pipe.  I saw him at one time, and went 'meh, why bother?'  Well, Urist McPyro decided, for some reason completely unbeknownst to me, to saunter up into that tube for...something.  There's absolutely nothing over there and it's a ridiculously convoluted path to get over there, but he managed it. 

So I forbid his corpse and am trying to prevent future incidents from happening, so I figure I'll just destroy the stairs.  My question is, if I tell my miners to remove the up stairs/ramp, will they remove them from the bottom, the same tile, or above where the actual stair case is?  The common sense answer is below, or on the same tile, but....this IS dwarf fortress after all.....

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 07:04:34 pm »

I think removing stairs/ramps works from the bottom, if you used a stairway, it may be easier to make a floor over the down stairs.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.)