Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating a custom language  (Read 1139 times)

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating a custom language
« on: July 23, 2009, 05:58:58 am »

I stumbled upon the language files and I had a flash of inspiration (known to the real dorf as a brainfart). I want to fool around with the Dwarf and other languages. However, I do have a question regarding the link between the files.

As far as I know and can tell from the files, every word you make (for instance BEER) has a translation. Every language for every race has the word BEER and a translation. But what if one language did not have that word and its translation?

Say, I have language Dwarf and Orc. I create the following:

Dwarf_language                               

BEER: Blah
DWARF: Bleh
CAT: Bliep
MAGMA: Awesome

Orc_language:

BEER: Oooo
DWARF: Aaaa
CAT: Huh

As you can see, the Orcs do not know the word Magma (which one would rectify in a game of DF, but I disgress ...). What would DF do? Crash because it can't find the word MAGMA for the Orcs? Or would it ignore it?
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a custom language
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 06:07:38 am »

I think it causes an error during worldgen if the word is generated but the translation isent found(dont quote me on that, but Im pretty sure).

So if an orc town was called "magmacats" or something then the game would crash.

Just tested this by removing all the words in the dwarven dictionary except for ace. The result is that the game wont crash, but the words not translated appear as nothing and you get stuff like this:

In other words, I hope you have some free time on your hands.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:15:48 am by cowofdoom78963 »

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 08:44:07 am »

Cheers for the reply and the investigation, cowofdoom78963! Editing a language is going to be ... fun. Interesting, but fun. ;D
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 08:51:15 am »

Cheers for the reply and the investigation, cowofdoom78963! Editing a language is going to be ... fun. Interesting, but fun. ;D
Im sure it will be a blast! Good luck! :)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 09:49:05 am »

My recommendation? Regular expressions are your friend. It'd take you less time to learn regular expressions than edit all the entries by hand probably.