Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More unrelated questions!  (Read 1080 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: More unrelated questions!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 02:59:26 pm »

(I don't so I can guarantee a killswitch)

A linked hatchcover on the intake tile is another good killswitch.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 03:49:06 pm »

5. you need a Gear Assembly between the screw pump and the windmill and it'll work just fine.  and you'll also need a hole in the ground under the center of the windmill so the gear assembly will connect to it, and a hole beneath the Gear assembly to connect to the Pump.

I'm pretty sure the gear assembly is unnecessary - I've got a few millstones connected directly to a windmill (no gear assemblies, no axles) and they work just fine, and I don't see why screw pumps would behave differently in this case.

My millstones are connected directly under windmills and work quite well, I've been confused on why my pumps won't do the same

I've just tested windmills hanging directly over screw pumps (i.e. floor channeled out beforehand, no axles or gear assemblies), and it doesn't matter which tile they are above - walkable or unwalkable, power is transferred correctly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 04:12:38 pm »

While we're on the topic of my questions  :D

Usually the only unhappy thoughts I get are the "lack of dining tables" and "complained of thirst."  I recently realized I didn't have enough chairs and tables touching.  Now that I fixed this, how long will it take those messages to change?  I assume that making a big dining hall where the "rooms" overlap and are assigned to nobody is what they want, correct?

Do they just complain of thirst because they stupidly path to the furthest keg of booze instead of the ones near where they are?

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 04:16:49 pm »

Oh and on the economy, after driving myself crazy on it I decided to let the dorfs run around naked.  Most of them seem quite happy that way!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 04:33:07 pm »

Naked is not factored in. All good.

Thirst is usually from a lack of booze, or, for instance, a player locking their miners in the mines to finish some work, or otherwise preventing them from drinking.  If you have booze and a path, they should take a drink break in plenty of time to get where they need to be.

Check wiki on "thought", but iirc any thought drops in intensity by half after a season, and is gone in 2 (might be a half-year and full year, not sure.)

If you want a Legendary Dining Hall, you don't assign each table as a DH - just one that encompasses the whole area.  Otherwise the value of each will be quartered, and you'll never get there.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 07:01:59 pm »

So given an insane amout of tables and chairs in a "physical" room, I just designate one table and one chair as "rooms" and the rest are cool (the ones that I didn't turn in to dining halls or sitting rooms).

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 07:06:02 pm »

Just make sure the room you designate from one table (making a room from a chair makes an office, and you don't need to turn your whole dining room into one) is expanded to cover the whole area that you actually consider as your dining room.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 07:06:41 pm »

Right.

A "physical room", as defined by walls, isn't a "room" in DF, not until it's defined by designating a zone (<q>) from a piece of furniture.

A "room" can be bigger or smaller than walls, or be outside (in theory) - it's how the zone and walls and doors interact that defines the room, and then all the other furniture works as expected within that zone.

See wiki "room" for a more complete discussion.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 07:51:10 pm »

Cool, I expected dwarves to be stupid enough that if I just designated one table in a room they'd all just look blankely at the rest.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 12:38:44 pm »

So my windmill problem was from not having a hole under the middle tile  ;D

I fixed the lack of dining tables by moving all the chairs next to them.  Oddly, I still get the "complained of thirst" at the same time I get 2 happy thoughts from booze for most of my dwarves  ???
Pages: 1 [2]