Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tame flying creatures= FPS falls like a rock? Anybody having this problem?  (Read 1478 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know whether it's the giant bats and giant cave swallows I'm trying to domesticate since when they are out or on a chain, by FPS goes nuts. A while ago my FPS was dropping to low and now it's intermittently stopping. When all of the flying critters were in cages, things seemed fine.

Has anybody had problems with FPS going nuts when domesticating flying creatures? I think I may just abandon my taming idea as it's not essential in the long term.

Incidentially, I did capture two gazelles when I wasn't trying to get those, and a mating pair at that. I know gazelles modvalue is in the common category, but hey, it's more exotic to have gazelle leather than cat leather.

Edit: Although having 200+ animals running loose isn't helping either, but I'm setting up some spikes at the bottom of a drop chute to make it more effective. So I'll be getting rid of those soon.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:14:19 pm by smjjames »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile

Maybe they're trying to path to all 3d directions, that could be far more distressing FPS wise then land creatures. Other then that i have no idea.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For a moment I decided to go and butcher those that I have, but changed my mind and decided to wait until I got the 200+ others out of the way as I have less than 10 flying critters atm.

As for pathing to 3D, I have them chained in a livestock area that has several pet unpassable doors, so I'm not sure if that is the problem.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For a moment I decided to go and butcher those that I have, but changed my mind and decided to wait until I got the 200+ others out of the way as I have less than 10 flying critters atm.

As for pathing to 3D, I have them chained in a livestock area that has several pet unpassable doors, so I'm not sure if that is the problem.

Are the doors also forbidden?  They will still try to path through it if it's only pet unpassable.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just checked by freeing a flying critter and that makes my FPS go nuts..... so I think that is what's going on.

going to try and completely forbid the doors to/from the area.

Edit: Yea it stops that.

I think I'll scrap the taming effort for these because I don't want to deal with the FPS going nuts every time I transfer a giant bat or giant cave swallow somewhere. Plus, I want that area ro be accessable to my dwarves, so....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:51:52 pm by smjjames »

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problem was the pet-unpassable doors.  Pets can still path through them but since they can't go past it but keep trying to, it really hammers the FPS.  Never use pet-unpassable doors.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not essential to my plans and besides, those critters are more likely to get in the way of any future projects.

I haven't had any problems with land critters and pet unpassable doors. I actually find them useful for a butchery/tanning area in case a kitten decides to try and make a break for it and gets away from the butcher*.

*More like dwarf takes the animal out and decides to do something else in the middle of transporting it to the butchers.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:24:08 am by smjjames »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems appropriate-ish here:
I want to have some sort of livestock population in my fort. I used to chain about 10 females and one male of the animal I want to use in a room and put a pet impassable door there as entrance. According to this thread, the chained animals still try to path to where ever?

So what's a better solution? Caging them? Will newborns be put outside the cave? (I think I remember they are, from my last test)
Will anymals in a cage still grow?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, no, the chained animals don't path (because they can't move far) and when those flying critters were chained, I had no problems. When I unchained them, boom, the FPS went nuts.

As for the newborns, they will stick near the mom and sort of wander a bit. When the newborns are... born.... they will be released from the cage, but stick nearby.

I was having FPS issues when I was transferring them somewhere and even when they were out in the open, so caging wasn't an option for me.

Most tameable large animals are non-flying and so shouldn't be a problem. I wasn't having a problem with the 200+ animals FPS wise I think, and I wanted to get rid of them as I had simply let the population grow without any checks. It wasn't a catsplosion, more like a dog/donkey/horse/cow-splosion. Although cramming 200+ into one cage may have caused the FPS to act a bit funky. Breaking the laws of physics can do that.