Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: water z-levels  (Read 898 times)

purplefuzzythings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
water z-levels
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:21:11 pm »

Can fishermen/wells, once set up, reach down as many z levels as needed to get to a water source?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: water z-levels
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:23:18 pm »

Wells, yes.  Fisherdorfs, no.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 04:25:14 pm »

Hmm... I'd assume that as long as it's like this-
|xxx|
|xxx|
|xxx|
|xxx|
|xxx|

Than the well will reach down as far as possible for the water... While if it's like this-

|xxx|
|xxx|
|xxx|
-----
|xxx|

With something blocking it, I'd assume you'd have to channel the area before the well could acess the water.

Edit: See above post about fisherdwarfs.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:26:58 pm »

There's one more condition for wells. The water at whatever level has to be 4/7 or greater.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

purplefuzzythings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 05:19:52 pm »

coo.
how far can fishers reach down?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 05:31:18 pm »

I think just 1 level - but to be honest, never tried more.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 05:33:03 pm »

It'd be easy to check. Just plop a zone down where you think they can or should be able to fish, and then see how many tiles are available for fishing.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 10:03:05 pm »

I'm fairly sure fisherdwarves have to be next to the water source, with the water only 1 z-level down.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 06:19:57 am »

i tried getting them to fish out of my well, that had a space between the water and well:

z:          well
z-1:       empty space
z-2:       water

and it didn't seem to work. but my current well, although it has 4 z-levels of water below it, has no empty space z-level between the water and the well, and the fisherdwarves just love sitting by it and fishing. obviously not conclusive proof, but just sharing my experience....

if only the fisherdwarves would get social skills from fishing, as they chat to all the other dwarves who visit the well (high demand for water at the moment after some rather unfortunate injuries). that would be a cool little addition - chatting while doing jobs that are time-consuming but not necessarily conversation-restrictive. (unless of course one takes the wiki's explanation of dwarven fishing to be accurate, in which case they are probably too busy with their beards to be free to natter).

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 05:40:12 am »

It must be awkward when someone walks up to drink. Have to pull that barrel up and drink from it without getting a fishhook in the face.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 07:06:18 am »

Ya know I have a well with the water right under it (in fact, when I forgot to turn the faucet off, it did a great job of overflowing and promptly draining directly into my living quarters) but when I try to zone for fishing, it's a no go.

Does the water perhaps have to have fish in it?  Like when you look in a brook/river you can see the different types of fish 'swimming' in it? 

I know the fish can get sucked into your cisterns (have had it happen) so perhaps that's a requisite as well?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 04:16:00 pm »

Fish populations are abstracted. When Dwarves fish they pull from a total fish population that is tied to biome, so it doesn't matter where they fish nor where the water comes from.