Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wells, waterfalls, and drains.  (Read 832 times)

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wells, waterfalls, and drains.
« on: July 17, 2009, 03:56:18 pm »

Lately I've been playing around with wells and drains a LOT. And I've got an idea.

You see, my typical fort always consists of a central 'plaza' surrounded by shops. This plaza usually has a central waterfall to make everyone all happy when it mists over them.

However, in my latest fort I've had a mechanic go fey. end result is a mechanism worth almost half a million. I want to put this somewhere it'll be of massive benefit to me, so I want to build a well with this mechanism in my central plaza.

What I'm curious about is if I can combine my current happyfall with the uberwell. If I drain water down on top of the well, will the water continue to drain down underneath and fill it? Will the waterfall produce mist when it strikes the well?

Because if the answer to both questions is yes, then my dwarves are going to be in ecstacy 24/7.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Wells, waterfalls, and drains.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 04:35:49 pm »

I'd bet no one (who's posting on the forums) has tried this - so let us know how it works out.  ;)

A well needs 3/7 water - so if you can maintain that, it should work.  (Don't forget the escape stairs for when the drunks go well diving.)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 04:49:42 pm »

You should be okay if you have a single tile large waterfall drop directly through the well. Just make sure your drainage system is okay and that the surface of the water is a few Z levels below the well itself, or your well cistern will be full of dead dwarves.

Alternatively, you can simply put the well in your dining hall. Its value will be added to the value of the dining hall.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 04:51:12 pm »

I think this would work. I remember an anecdote from a while ago about someone who put a well under a waterfall, and he had no problems with it. Furthermore, in my educated opinion, I also see no problems with this setup.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 06:21:21 pm »

I would put grates flanking the well and have the waterfall split and fall on either side of it.

Code: [Select]
#+#
#o#
#+#

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:49:35 pm »

Dwarves will probably get swept away then, or at least have jobs repeatedly canceled.

If water only falls on a tile that cannot be pathed to anyways, no dwarves will get swept away so long as your drainage system is up to the task.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 02:20:50 am »

Actually, that's a pretty neat idea:

Code: [Select]
+2

....+....

+1
.....+....
....+I+....
.....+....

+++++#++++
++++#I#+++
+++#III#++
++++#I#+++
+++++#++++

Legend - I = Support + = Floor # =  Grate . = Space.

Basically the water falls onto the tile at the top, and split into four. It then continues downwards and is split again. The top tile is supported by a support, which in turn is supported by one below. Make the parts out of clear glass blocks